• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 4.0 going in to change the clutch, what else?

Hoodie ninja

NAXJA Forum User
I have changed plenty of clutches before, just never on a jeep. My problem stems from a leaky throwout bearing, and quite possibly had a leaking master at some point.
With 150,000 miles on it I am going tk assume it has the original clutch and i am going to change
Flywheel
Clutch
Pressure plate
Pilot bearing
Hydraulic throwout bearing
Clutch master cylinder

Everything except for the master cylinder is LUK brand stuff. Master cylinder is Dorman.
Is there a walk thru on this site? I did a search and didnt come up with much (maybe because i am using Tapatalk? ), i expected to find something.

Just wondering if there was anything else that needed while i was in there. I did read somewhere to change the seal on the input shaft of the trans.
It is a 5 speed 1990. What trans is that and even better does anybody have the part number for the seal?

Thanks in advance

90 XJ should be an AX-15, internal slave trans. To confirm, look under your heep and see if the trans housing case halves bolts together from front to rear. If not, then you have the AX-15. Since you will have everything apart swap out the slave cylinder as well.

I was out on the trails today after i have been driving the xj about every other day for normal driving. Also i took it out on a trail for about an hour the other day.
Today about an hour into the trail the clutch pedal had less and less pressure against it until there was no pedal at all.
The rest of the trail was butt puckering, having to shift everything according to engine rpms. Drove it home that way.

It looks like fluid coming from the inspection plate, so i am almost sure that it is the LUK throwout bearing that i just installed.
Needless to say i am not thrilled with having to split the engine/trans again.

Im venting more than anything, is this what i het for buying off of amazon instead of using the jeepshop who wanted 5 times what it cost me to change it out?
The same place who will probably get my money to replace the bearing anyway.

Anybody know a place in northern sfv, santa clarita valley or possibly even antelope valley who would do this for a decent price?

I am located just north of los angeles in case none of those places sound familiar

The throwout bearing is permanently filled with grease, so it's not likely the cause of your leak. Is the leak brake fluid, or oil? If brake fluid, then it's the internal clutch slave cylinder. If oil, if it's dirty, then maybe a rear main seal form the engine. If clean oil, then trans seal, though I would really suspect that as unlikely.

Given your description of the clutch losing it, I'm guessing the internal slave cylinder is leaking. Is the master cylinder empty? you didn't change these parts yet, correct?

David Bricker / SYR

Sounds like new defective slave cylinder. I don't have specific experience with the internal version, as I have a '95, but I thought those were a sealed assembly.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
it will be an AX-15.

if the master has leaked, you need to pull the fuse block and clean it, thoroughly. DO it now, otherwise the brake fluid will destroy it.

input seals rarely fail, and usually only when the input shaft bearing is wasted, usualy caused by a bad pilot bushing/bearing.
There are two sizes of pilot bearings.
I can't remember which one is which off hand. LUK clutch kit should come with both. It's my preferred brand. Buy the whole kit, will come with pilot, pressure plate and friction.
buy slave cylinder. Consider replacing the rubber hose. It's cheap, and you only want to bleed this thing once.

speaking of bleeding. Have you a power bleed unit or vacuum bleeder? You're going to need one. If you dno't own one and have an air compressor, the cheap harborfreight vacuum bleeder works well for the cost.

Other than that it's just a regular clutch job. Don't forget that you'll need E-12 socket for the tpo two bellhousing bolts.

Back