• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet Crank Position Sensor

Guzzi

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Finished cleaning the engine bay on my '96 XJ Sport. Had used a pressure sprayer to apply degreaser and rinsed of with low pressure water hose.
Went to start Jeep and turns over fine but doesn't start. This has happened exactly the same way a few years ago and was the Crank Position Sensor. Had it replaced and all was OK.
Now I believe I have the same problem again.
Is there any thing that can be done rather than replacing sensor. Is it just water in the plug or around the sensor and I need to dry it out? Any easy solutions apart from replacing the sensor?

Guzzi

Have you looked under the distributor cap yet? May be as simple as blowing the inside of the distributor out with air.

I've never had any issue with the CPS and a motor wash. I have had issues with a wet distributor and/or a wet TPS.

Hi,

At the time of posting I hadn't as I was waiting for everything to dry bit. So, of course I eventually grabbed the can of WD40, unscrewed the distributor cap and gave it a good squirt and left it hanging to dry/fume off.

Went out an hour later and all OK.

No matter how often this happens you always assume the worst and often overlook revisiting the tried and true routines.

Thanks

Guzzi

Does anybody seal the plastic cover that surrounds the crank position sensor so water and or mud will not enter the bell housing? I'v never done it but have often thought about it.

There is a factory plastic piece on new vehicles.

Back