• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making Battery Cables for my 2000

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got a good look at the battery cables on my 2000. They are quite rough.

I have an idea for what I can do for everything but the starter to battery connection.

For this, I can't get a good idea about what to do about the proprietary connection that has the solenoid and power wire in one.

Closest I could find was someone on Jeepforum saying to cut the two apart(makes sense), then they just said "cut this off" and showed a random picture of a NEGATIVE battery cable ... obviously not the right one. So not sure how to connect a new cable to the starter for power.

The other threads I have all linked to 5-90's website (which is awesome) but all of the pictures on there are for Renix jeeps, which, thankfully I do not have.

Does anyone have any pictures on here of what they did for a battery to starter power cable?

Thanks!

no pictures...

but i just cut the connector off. for the factory jeep wire i added a ring terminal and did shrink wrap. simply replace the mains cable (to battery) as you had planned.

nothing fancy happens inside the connector you need to cut off. they dont swap sides or wrap around each other. one wire goes to one stud on the starter, the other wire goes to the other. its that simple.

It's the same as testing your starter motor outside an engine bay. Connect a cable to a Batt. positive post and a cable to battery neg. post. Your positive side cable will connect to the starter motor terminal,whereas the negative cable to the starter casing or ground. Take a screwdriver and touch that to the starter wire terminal to engage the armature/Bendix spring. Nothing fancy.

Also U-tube videos to see it done.

When I made my cables, I just cut the chunk of plastic/rubber that has the 2 connectors in it right down the middle, freeing up the solenoid wire but keeping it intact. For the starter battery wire I just used a copper lug and bent it 90 degree's like the stock one. Worked just fine.

Back