• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case problem? Help diagnose weird ping noise

jabbathewhats

NAXJA Forum User
1988 XJ with NP242 and auto trans. I was wheeling this weekend and I got some crazy noise when it was under a lot of load. Watch video to see example after I put it in reverse it makes a loud ping.
Specs": d44 rear with Trac lok, 4.88 gears, d30 with lock rite, np242, auto trans.
It was doing it when I was crawling up stuff it would bang as both tires were trying to spin, every few seconds. In the video, I started crawling up a rock, then backed up. As I put it in reverse and started moving backwards it made a loud ping /bang again.
Is this a T Case chain issue? I checked ujoints, and didn't see anything weird. It sounded like it might have come from middle of jeep near T case, but it's hard to tell.
Video: https://youtu.be/SeVsjtNOdpw

Yeah, it's weird because it was kind of intermittent. It drove like normal. I checked u joints up there, but I'll check again at home. Does chain slap sound high pitched like mine did? IdK, I'll keep looking for stuff.

Well, I don't know if it's the issue, but the passenger side U joint has a very little bit of play. I ordered another. I'll get it put in, and take it wheeling to see if the noise goes away. The drive shaft seems right, but the front drive shaft turns a little at the T Case. Is that normal for it to turn 1/10 turn when it's in 2wd park? It turns just a little...

U-Joints with seized caps/rusted bearings can create a ping.

just because there is no play in the joint does not mean the joint isn't bad. a rusted/seized cap will have no play.

Well, I took it to me buddies shop and he checked everything out and the ujoints were fine. He said it was probably the TCase. I opened up the TCASE and sure enough the chain was stretched pretty bad. The inside of the case had marks where the chain was hitting it. I put a new chain in it and it works great now. Only problem I have now is adjusting the linkage. It doesn't want to go back into 2wd when shifting. It goes through all the 4wd gears smoothly. I can normally shift into 2wd easily when driving, but not now. I'll get to adjusting.

Back