• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those with 350 conversions-- what do you do for skid plates?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm thinking of just fabricating a set and giving myself an excuse to learn how to learn how to weld... but are there any after market plates that people with 350 conversions have used? I know each conversion is a different, but any guidance would be helpful.

Start here for pictures and ideas.

I am assuming you want to protect your trans/tcase? Hard to protect an engine.

It is a sucky time having to get on your back and measure then get back up and cut then when you have something worth hoisting up there to see if it fits it can be too heavy, but it can be done with just a welder, drill press, and an angle grinder.

This was mine during the process of building mine.

img_2179-jpg.183519

2x4 or 2x6 3/16" thick is a good platform to build off of. There is a third hole that you can tap on the rail of the unibody which is another good mounting point to have. I was a little worried not having another hole to use going back towards the rear of the rail but when I do frame stiffeners I will add another.

Depending on where your trans mount location is you may be able to modify a skid plate from a vendor to work for you to avoid fabrication and mounting problems.

Good Luck

I wasn't implying that it was easy, I'm sure it's not. Neither was doing a 350 swap, but I learned, as I'm sure I'll be able to with welding...

reviving this rather than start a new thread -- finished with other projects on my XJ, now thinking about the skid plates...

Save me some time and trouble-- before I start fabricating my own, has anyone with a v8 conversion found a engine or transfer case skid plate that fits without a ton of modifications?

What are you using for a trans cross member?

Back