• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana 44 Install

Kidd XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I am getting started on building a metric ton Dana 44 from a 1989 Comanche for my XJ and want to upgrade to disc brakes.

Does anyone know of a bolt on kit that will change bolt pattern to 6X5.5?

The reason I ask is I built a HP44 for the front and had the outers from a K5 Blazer and trying to save money I used them. Naturally the K5 outers are 6X5.5 thus trying to build the rear to match. I have tried searching all over and so far no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know of anything easy to do what you want....
I'm running 6 lug now too, if I were you I'd just look for a Isuzu/passport 44

But first, did you narrow the axle or is it full width?

Then Isuzu/passport 44 is the best/easiest thing you can do really, that I know of

yea axle shafts not the issue, finding brakes is the problem.
looking for bolt on do not want weld on brackets.
all Currie brake parts need Ford torino bearing ends welded on.
thanks

You can get shafts yeah, but he wants disc's, and it sounds like he hadn't done anything to his current rear 44.

Isuzu has disc already, is the right width, and 6 lug.

But you could get shafts from Dutchman or a few other guys.

I just think if he hasn't started building his rear, it would be cheaper and easier to get a Isuzu axle but that's just me

If it's an Xj axle you have you can use ford 8.8 discs, just need a few small parts, but it is bolt on
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146

In theory, would one be able to bolt up the Isuzu 44 disc brake parts to the XJ/MJ 44?And maybe shafts, pending length differences.

Nope. Very very different axles unfortunately....
They have a weird drum parking brake, it's really a funky design.

If you have an Xj 44 and want discs, use the explorer brakes. Keep it simple

Seriously if you haven't done any more than the initial purchase of the axle the Isuzu/passport axle is the way to go. I put a passport axle in my rig just a few months ago and it already had disk breaks, a limited slip, and can come with 4.10 or 4.30 gears stock. I only had to match the gears in my new waggy front axle (4.27 Dana gears) to the passports 4.30 gears. The drum parking brake isn't really much different than the any other drum inside a disk rotor setup and I didn't have any issues with it. The brake caliper mounts are cast and welded onto the axle so swapping can't happen. Check out a 96 or 97 Isuzu or passport axle for near stock width. The earlier ones are narrower than the exploder and the newer ones are wider by a couple inches that stock and have a jk like pinion bearing setup that is nearly the same as a D60 size.
It has the 6 on 5.5 lug pattern as well to solve your last issue.

Good to know. I guess that the ZU 44 is the way to go for inexpensive and practically plug n pray.

Back