• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump / fuel leak uestion

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired a 96 xj that is not currently running. The previous owner said he noticed some gas underneath close to where the fuel filter is mounted. He said he crawled underneath and has his wife turn it over to see where the leak was coming from, but he said the pump didn't even seem to come on. My thought is maybe the filter filter, or a line is cracked, but I dont' think that explains why the fuel pump doesn't sound it like it comes on now? Is there any kind of failsafe that detects a leak, or low pressure, and wouldn't let the fuel pump come on? On help would be appreciated! thanks.

I had one of the short pieces of fuel tubing leak on mine at the filter. Many of the replacement filters come with the two short pieces of rubber fuel tubing.

When you turn the key to run, the fuel system primes, the pump runs for a few seconds. It can be subtle and hard to hear. The fuel pump starts up for real as you are cranking the motor over. The fuel pump is hard to hear over the sound of the engine cranking.

The fuel pump won't run during cranking if the computer detects no CPS (crank position sensor) pulse. Check for spark during cranking, if no spark the CPS is likely to be the issue.

Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key to the run position? It should as a check light bulb function.

Update on this issue. I got a Bosch fuel pump, and fuel filter from Napa. Dropped the tank to swap out the pump, replace the filter on the unibody rail, and all seems well.

Back