• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB ECU

Nwcharger

NAXJA Forum User
So I had a friend come over and look at the fuel pump yesterday. Thinking its noisy due to an electrical issue. Everything checks out. The pump is getting power and the resistor is doing what it's suppose to but the resistor gets REALLY hot. Within 30 seconds or so it gets too hot to even touch. Im thinking the ECU is sending too much power to the pump. Anyone have an extra ECU sitting around? I have a 1992 Cherokee. Thanks.

Does this make your jeep pop and stutter? I've been trying to figure out my fueling issue thought I had but it reared its head this weekend. I changed my ECU and it hasn't fix it I changed the relays out helped for a few weeks cleaned all my grounds. And it's still hit or miss with a stutter. Hopefully a ECU well fix you up.

i dont know why the ECU would have anything to do with the resistor getting hot. The resistor is there to cut down the voltage to the fuel pump after the vehicle starts. I would think if the fuel pump is drawing to much the resistor would get hot. I thought the ECU only controls the on and off to the fuel relay. If the ECU had that kind of control you would not need the relay or the resistor.

I went and pulled the exact same Ecu from another jeep at the junkyard. The jeep would start then die right away. I just thought maybe something was wrong inside the Ecu and it was sending too much power to the pump. Obviously that's not the issue. I don't have a stutter at all with the original Ecu. In fact it runs great. The pump is just noisy as hell. Going to change out the internal hose now and the one that goes from the pump to the filter. Maybe it has a crack somewhere and is sucking in air causing the pump to work harder?

Back