• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nth Degree

T- Bone

NAXJA Forum User
Opinions on the Zig Zag by Nth Degree. Looks like if you had long enough shocks you could flex for miles!

It does look that way. I just saw an install art. in some mag about it. A pin holds it all together for the highway. Great idea but I don't know if I would try it. You would have to have longer shocks, brake lines, and enough splines on the driveshaft to really let it loose. But it does look like a good idea. Juice

T- Bone said:
Does look a little dangerous going down a steep hill.

not any more dangerous than Revolvers or rear coil suspension. limiting strap on top of the diff will help a lot with that though.

• Under situations of high torque and extremely high traction, the Zig Zag may separate at
both sides at once. This condition is difficult to achieve (usually only Moab slickrock or
similar + low tire pressure + steep uphill) and is normally very brief and not damaging or
substantially limiting to off-road performance. If however it is desired to eliminate the
possibility for a certain obstacle (such as ‘Dump Bump’ in Moab), the lockouts can be quickly
installed and then removed afterwards.
• The Zig Zag does NOT separate until the load on a rear spring goes to ZERO – this is
elementary physics. Unless other major modifications have been incorrectly performed to
your vehicle, there is no chance that the ZZ will separate under heavy braking or when
descending steep hills. If it does separate under panic-stop braking, then you have unsafe
and incorrect brake proportioning (and VERY strong brakes plus sticky tires!), which should
be corrected before driving on public roads. If the ZZ were to separate while descending a
steep hill, it means that the spring(s) were already unloaded – which means you surely did
an ‘endo’ over the front and landed up-side down. Neither of these situations should be
possible, and if they occur, the result was NOT the fault of the ZZ!

Last edited:
yeah great idea untill you start twisting the springs and the big bushings in the front are toasted REALLY quickly and the springs sag/flatten out/ twist etc . not to mention i dont think the front spring mounts would last very long with all the wierd torsional stress placed on them with that setup.

dave said:
yeah great idea untill you start twisting the springs and the big bushings in the front are toasted REALLY quickly and the springs sag/flatten out/ twist etc . not to mention i dont think the front spring mounts would last very long with all the wierd torsional stress placed on them with that setup.

not any more than any other flexy leaf spring suspension, bushings are always twisting when axle is not parallel to the frame. zig-zag (and revolvers for that matter) reduce spring sag and fatigue, by almost eliminating bushing flex on the shackle end of the spring and eliminating spring twist between axle and shackle.

Back