• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 New Hubs issue.

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 XJ, stock suspension/tires, etc. It needed new hubs, so I bought the Moog brand P/N-513159. I also bought new dust shields, hub bolts, and axle nut. I cleaned everything up really good. Installed all the parts carefully and had no issues with the parts going together (did not have to fight anything). Hub bolts were torqued to 75ft./lbs. as per the service manual. Installed the new axle nut with washer and torqued to 175ft./lbs. as per the service manual. Even with everything seated flat and firmly against the hub mounting bracket, the axle nut will not go on far enough to clear the cotter pin hole in each of the axles. Has anyone ever noticed this before with other replacement hubs? It seems like the nut has to go on about an eighth of an inch further. I also noticed that as I was tightening the axle nut, it was pulling each of the axles out of the axle tubes (again, an eighth of an inch). So it appears that the depth dimension of the Moog hub was slightly larger than the depth of the stock hub, and was seating against the mount bracket sooner. Im not too concerned about the inner axle-to-differential tooth engagement, as the total engagement is about 1 3/4" and giving up an eighth inch is minor, especially with a stock/street driven rig. I know I can also just look for a thinner washer to put under the axle nut to take back some spacing. Just wondering what your thoughts and/or experiences were with this? Thanks

Thanks you guys for the replies. I did some searching online last night and realized that everything I was looking up was showing a 158 part number for Moog with an '01. The '01 and '00 are identical in everything, so far as all the parts I have dealt with. You guys have reinforced my feeling that ADVANCE AUTO ordered me the wrong part. And going along with what CarbonXJ said, the 159 is for a Grand. Really getting irritated with these cut-rate auto parts stores and the crap they dish out. I have been finding so often lately that if you rely on them to do the looking and get a part number, they will screw something up 50% of the time. The only way I get what Im looking for is if I do the searching, get the correct part number, hand it to them, and say "Order me this"! So, out of curiosity from what Ian Christiansen said, I am going to try to fit the wheels. This next test has the potential to blow my temp through the roof if the wheels dont even fit. Thanks again guys, best group I ever joined!

WELL, Roll my ass in pig blood and dunk me into an alligator pond, my damn wheels wont even fit over the lugs! It appears the bolt pattern on the hubs is larger than the bolt pattern on my XJ wheels, meaning the hubs are for a Grand, correct? I think so. Well, my fault for not checking this beforehand, and my fault for trusting these strangers behind the counter. Kinda like most of the 'bartenders' I run into these days. They can tip a tap and get that beer flowin', but ask them to make me a simple dirty martini straight up in a tumbler, and they look at me like I asked them to solve the problems of the world! Useless! Thanks again guys, I am wiser now from your wisdom.

IDK, It's strange. I work on my vehicles, the only thing's I don't do myself is A/C, rebuilding transmission's and mounting and balancing tires.
I don't work for AAP, but I use them a lot. I bought both my hubs from them and at different locations.

Got home from work, hopped into the garage, pulled off the hubs and did a quick cleaning, then re-wrapped them and took them back to ADVANCE. No problems, although I was aniticipating resistance. Called earlier this morn and had the 158 hubs brought in. So, whatever, tomorrow they go in and I move on to the brakes. Done.

"My sources indicate Moog 513158 as a direct fit, not 513159. Wrong part? I believe 159 fits the 2000 model year."

My assessment was correct. My advice to Bcknblk and naysayers who panned my thoughts without investigation is to do your homework before ordering parts. Trust only your own research into the matter, and purchase only that which you deem appropriate.

I am pleased to hear Advance is working with you. Wiser is the man who understands the limitations of others.

Back