• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New CPS fails

Sc00ter

NAXJA Forum User
Backstory...
2000 xj 4.0 4x4 120k miles

My last xj's cps died at this point and as a preventative measure (not wanting to get stuck in the middle of nowhere like before) I chose to swap it out. Bought a cheapo one off amazon and it caused the engine to miss once it warmed up to normal temp. Removed it and reinstalled the old one and it worked fine. I then bought the best one they had at Morris 4x4 and it runs so bad that I can't even get out of the driveway.

I know I can put the old one back in and it will run, but I know Murphy will take it out eventually and I will be back at square one. What am I missing? The part numbers match up and the plugs are direct fit. Bolt holes line up and they look identical. The new ones just don't run. I can see the cheapo one not working but two in a row from different sources?

99.9% of OEM last well over 150k miles. Stop playing around with crappy aftermarket parts. Buy it from the dealer and be done. The fact that you put the old one back in with no problems attests to this.

Only buy genuine Jeep engine sensors. Cheap Chinese crap sensors ( many with a "Lifetime Warranty" ) are as you have discovered, often out specification or even failed right out of the box.

Thank you all. Bought the oem part from the dealer and it works like a champ. For the record, comparison between the four that I now have (one old, one new oem and two crap) the magnets in the oem parts were ten times stronger. Presuming that has something to do with the quality of the part. Thank you again for pushing me that direction.

Back