• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY roof rack for under 50 bucks!

Nichkojr.7

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I really wanted a roof rack on my xj so I got to looking at buying one and the one that I wanted was over $150!! So I just did some brain storming and made one out of 1/2" conduit. I bought precut 5 footers and 3 10 footers. And they sell pre bent 90 degree angle pieces! Oh and a 8"x24" piece of 1/8" steel
87f2c05b12746e7c2e72ae5efbb0a1e7.jpg

c51f276d99597d24e3eadebe0fc8e0b7.jpg

Here is a before pic:
9ab7fafbb9fa7c0e2cbeba277279dc2d.jpg

After:
acaf820396290cdbd725b7e086c013e8.jpg

df85d74fd7eadf0bc7a51d09f512459b.jpg

42991aa01c5398b640a5a9233af1a52b.jpg

Yes. There is runners on the bottom to hold the cargo in. I did not weld a single thing just used self tapping screws.

So what's the point of it if you can't put anything in it?

There is cross pieces in it every 10" or so. So yes you can put stuff inside of it.

Like air. It looks nice, but that isn't going hold much without breaking. I'm glad you don't live near me if you plan on loading it down.

Really? Lol. It's not a wobbly pos

Your mounting method is what I would be worried about. How much weight do you suppose that strap is rated for? I would venture to say even less that the u-bolt you have it attached to.

I bet if you tightened it down more that strap would bend quite a bit, just like if the force was pulling it the other way.

Im not gonna be gonna be loading cinder blocks up there. The most I will have will be a few treestands. And those u-bolts are pretty sturdy. When I shake on the rack the whole jeep moves. I have 4 u-bolts on each corner so there will be no shimmy/shifting.

Like I said I said, I'm glad I don't live near you.

You could easily just strap the treestands onto the factory rack.

Like I said I said, I'm glad I don't live near you.

You could easily just strap the treestands onto the factory rack.

. Well it gave me something to do and if it does ever break then I'll just fix it or buy a new one. I just proud of my self. Lol not many 16 year olds can fab something like this.

The basket is fine. Your mounting method is what I have a problem with. When I was 16 I had a conduit roof rack. It used 1" steel straps 3/16" thick with bolts on each end like u bolt eliminaters for leaf springs on the factory rack. Try something like that.

Give the guy a break. At least he is working on his rig.....not like many web fabricators on here.

Back