• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control power

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
New to me-98XJ 4.0,AW4 4wd.80,000 miles
Cruise does not work,Did verify that it has a unit (servo) and the vac to it is good.Pushing switch on steering wheel will not turn on cruise light in inst, panel.
No mention in owners manual of where the power circuit is(fuse,relay)?
Looking for some info on this.

Thanks,
Wayne

New to me-98XJ 4.0,AW4 4wd.80,000 miles
Cruise does not work,Did verify that it has a unit (servo) and the vac to it is good.Pushing switch on steering wheel will not turn on cruise light in inst, panel.
No mention in owners manual of where the power circuit is(fuse,relay)?
Looking for some info on this.

Thanks,
Wayne

Power to the cruise control system comes from the PCM. There's no fuse or relay.

More than likely the left Speed Control switch (ON/OFF) is acting up.

These switches are year specific if you go looking for one at the bone yard.

The switch circuits go through the clockspring.

You can disassemble the steering wheel touch pads, disconnect the harness for the switches and measure resistance across the switches when activated. If they measure properly; there is a chance the ribbon cable either has cracked wires or bad terminal connections.

Does the horn work?

Yes.
Talked to the previous owner today,he verified that the cruise does work,however you must hold the button in for a little while. Probably points to a bad switch.
Previous owner sold this 98 to buy a 85 2Dr 5 spd w/ a V6:eek:.He is tickled $hitless with it,told me he ordered new floor pans,drivers floor"you could throw a pumpkin thru it". No head liner,cracked windshield,needs paint,seats are all torn,It will be a project!

Back