• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering crossmember for clearance--check my logic

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
A couple years ago, I stove in my crossmember on a rock. It was pushed up such that now, the exhaust doesn't have enough clearance and rattles against it on moderate to large bumps, washboard roads, etc. The metal-metal contact eventually chews a hole in the front pipe right there by the front exhaust hanger.

I've finally had enough, but thing is, I'm short on cash. I may see if I can get a junkyard crossmember, but in the meantime, I was thinking: Can one loosen the crossmember bolts, and the tranny mount bolts, and use hardened washers as spacers to drop the crossmember 1/4-1/2 inch? Washers between crossmember and body, and between trans mount and crossmember?

If I'm not sick of working on it by tonight, I may try it. Already put new motor mounts in today, and had to re-attach exhaust after I lost it on the trail last night. Oil change and track bar fix is next.

Anyway, can anyone see a problem with my cheapy washer fix? Let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Ask around in your local chapter, I bet somebody has a stock piece laying around they'd give you for free or beer or something

In short yes you can do that to get by. But one in good shape is best. Check around your area with local naxja folk

Back