• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roaring from the....diff?

ProjectHalfDone

NAXJA Forum User
Stock 2000 XJ Sport. I've had it about 2 years.

So. I've had this roaring noise since I had the water pump replaced a few months ago. Like...the DAY I got it back from the shop the noise was there. Pulling off the lot. (Yeah I should have gone back and asked them wtf this new sound was...)

It happens when you first start the jeep and it's in park. It settles down after a minute or two to a hum but it's still abnormal...meaning a noticeable difference from what it sounded like before the water pump.

It becomes a roar between 1500 and 2200 rpms. If I am outside that range it sounds normal again. If I accelerate through the noise, it goes away and if I let off the accelerator it also goes away. Completely.

Could this be the differential? Someone told me that's what it is but why would it do it when I'm in park and only at certain rpms??? And of course it's only when accelerating. The diff is still engaged and turning at 50mph when I'm breaking so why no noise then???? Or do I not understand how a diff works....I've helped take one apart but it was years upon years ago...

To me it sounds like a fan is messed up. It sounds like a fan when I drive it in a tunnel, it sounds like a fan when I go past a solid object with the window down...I mean maybe I'm insane but to me thats what the sound...sounds like. It's also coming more from the passenger side than driver. Sounds like it's slightly to the passenger side of center.

And if it IS the diff...do we agree that replacing the axle with one from a bone yard is easier/cheaper? I feel ok replacing the axle myself. I'd like to do most of the work myself but right now the jeep is the DD and that's why I've let someone else do the water pump and some other stuff....but I want to be sure the diff is the problem.

Feel free to link other threads. I've searched and read a ton but a lot talk about a roaring at certain MPH...mine is RPM not MPH. I've also looked at the "airplane noise" threads which seem to be fan-related...and that's honestly what I was assuming it was until someone mentioned it could be the diff. It very much sounds airplane-take-off-ish. Like...a giant propeller...aka a fan.

Yeaaaahhh....any thoughts welcome. I'm still learning so all help is welcome and greatly appreciated.

The differential will not make noise if the jeep is not in motion. Did they replace the fan clutch?

You might want to take a look at your mech. fan shroud. If they cracked it/broke it or didn't put it back on right it could be getting battered by the fan. Ask me how I know. That is IF you have a fan shroud.

They could have even bent the fan, or didn't get it secured correctly. That's what it sounds like to me.

The differential will not make noise if the jeep is not in motion. Did they replace the fan clutch?

This makes me feel less dumb. Thank you. And not sure about the fan clutch offhand. I need to dig out the paperwork from that repair when I get home.

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at your mech. fan shroud. If they cracked it/broke it or didn't put it back on right it could be getting battered by the fan. Ask me how I know. That is IF you have a fan shroud.

They could have even bent the fan, or didn't get it secured correctly. That's what it sounds like to me.

Great, thank you. And I'm afraid to ask how you know. :) I'm just glad I'm not insane for thinking that it's not the diff.

Back