• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes another fuel pump problem

Nwcharger

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so first off...yes I have already done a search for my problem over the past several days. Cannot find an answer for my issue. I have a 1992 cherokee with the 4.0L. I was on a wheeling trip a few weeks ago. The second day of the trip and about halfway up the trail my fuel pump started humming.

I got off the trail and made it home without issue. The fuel pump hummed the whole way home. I got a new pump, after doing research I did NOT buy the Airtex and instead went with Delphi. The one that was in it before was a bosch. Anyways got the new one in and the new one humms as well! I decided to replace the resistor, (long ceramic deal on the drivers inner fender. Started it up, still humming and resistor started smoking. Im thinking i have a short somewhere? Can anyone tell me if they have had this issue and if so what the result was. I dont buy into this its because you dont have enough fuel in tank or it is normal. It didnt do it before and it still doesnt explain the smoking resistor. Anyone know where the wires run from/to? I have tried to trace them but cannot re locate them after they come out under the dash on drivers side. Thank you in advance.

Back