• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 outer bearing/seal replacement help

NitroJesus4000

NAXJA Forum User
Please help me if you can.

I am replacing the outer axle bearings on my 8.25" axle. The axle shafts came out easily but I cannot get the bearings or seals out. I have the 2 jaw and 3 jaw attachments for the slide hammer but I still cannot get them out of there. In fact, I cant even get them to move AT ALL. The weird thing is, when I look at it, it almost looks like the axle housing and the seal/bearing is one piece, which I know must not be true but it is scaring the crap out of me to even look at it. It looks integrated. The jaws slipped at one point and destroyed the old bearing, so the vehicle can not even be put back together at this point. How do I get them out of there!?

Thanks for the response but I figured it out. The factory seal is like a cup that is sealed in there with a generous amount of RTV. Once I figured out how to pry the seal of, the double jaws worked well to remove the bearing. Sweetness. Now I can rest easy and pull it all back together tomorrow.

With the right tools the seal comes out with the bearing. Glad you figured it out. Use any common bearing race driver flipped over to drive the bearing and then the seal in if you don't have the dealer tools.

Back