• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECGS 8.8"

thesteveyo

NAXJA Forum User
Configuring an 8.8 rear axle on the East Coast Gear Supply website can get out of hand kind of quickly, but for a guy without welding experience (or a welder), experience installing rings and/or pinions and lockers, is a source like ECGS a decent option? Also, is it essentially 100% bolt up and go, or do adjustments need to be made upon delivery? Finally, is there an alternative, like a WEST Coast Gear Supply (just play along with me here)? I would imagine freight shipping from NC to Oregon can get pretty steep.

TL;DR East Coast 8.8 good solution for noobs?

I do not know much about them, seem to be a decent company. However, there are several memebers that live in near your area that had some welding/fab experience. Find the exploder axle you want with correct gears, unless you are planning on something deeper than 4.10. Buy the ruffstuff simple swap kit, and find a local who will do some work for you for some beer and/or a small amount of cash.

go through a naxja vendor like dave off road or rwkhaus .

I bought an 8.8 from ECGS and not happy. It stated it would be prepped for an XJand the pinion angle is off and vibrates. Lots of backlash in pinion.

this, when I did mine, I bought axle for 99 bucks, the kit for 100 and a local welder did the welding after i set it up for 50 bucks, voila, ford 8.8 250.

I do not know much about them, seem to be a decent company. However, there are several memebers that live in near your area that had some welding/fab experience. Find the exploder axle you want with correct gears, unless you are planning on something deeper than 4.10. Buy the ruffstuff simple swap kit, and find a local who will do some work for you for some beer and/or a small amount of cash.

I bought an 8.8 from ECGS and not happy. It stated it would be prepped for an XJand the pinion angle is off and vibrates. Lots of backlash in pinion.

"Configured for an XJ" maybe, but maybe for a stock XJ with new leaf springs. For every bit your Jeep may be lifted or may be sagging, the pinion angle is going to have to change. There's no way that they could know what angle you need those spring perches and shock mounts welded at. As for the backlash, either it is in spec or out of spec. If out I would have complained right to them. I buy gearing odds and ends from ECGS sometimes and haven't had any issues with their products or service. However, I haven't bought an axle from them, so I can't speak to their ability or lack thereof to do the setup work.

Back