• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size for my setup/Moab on the mind.

jjnavarro

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Here's my current setup:

-99XJ 4.0 AW4
-Dana 30 front, 8.25 rear, both OX locked, 4.10 gears
-Quick discos up front, no sway bar in the rear
-OME Lift: 2.75" front, 3" rear
-JCR front and rear bumpers (no winch), rock sliders and skid row gas tank skid, factory t-case skid
-30x9.50r15 BFG AT/KOs on stock steel wheels

I'm driving her to Moab this Easter and am considering increasing my tire size so I can take on more trails. I will not regear.

I like wheeling and taking the family camping. I have a small trailer I like to tow with camping gear and will soon have roof-top tent (on the trailer, not the jeep).

I'd be willing to cut the fenders and install a pair of Notch Customes flares.
From the gear charts and calculators I've looked at, I should not go beyond 32".

Cost is always a factor, but experience has taught me that "doing it right" pays off in the long run.

With the above in mind, I have 3 questions:

1- Do you recommend 32's for clearence or 31's to keep more power?
2- What tire mesaurements do you recommmend? 31x10.50? A p-metric?
2- Do you recommend spacers for my stock wheels, or a new set with lesser backspacing? If new, what diameter?

Thanks you for your input!

You can do most trails in Moab with that you have meow. The traction there is amazing. 31's and 4.10s are a nice combo. Pending specific tires, of course, there is only a .5" difference in clearance between the 31 and 32.
I have run both 31x10.5 Dueler AT and MTR-k's on stock wheels with no issues. I do have a mid-arm setup up front though. The only plausible issue is, pending your LCA's you may run at full lock, and of course trim or bumpstop correctly as to not rub fenders or other. I would trim up the fenders, and run some flexy flares in the front. Maybe in the back, but you can also trim and fold the rear over.
A quality set of wheels spacers will work just fine. If you like your stock wheels, but want more width, stick with those and run wheel adapters.
Maybe find a take-off set of of JK wheels and tires if you like. Or.. ?

I did Moab on 31's and 4.10s a few years back. Front locker lsd rear. Strike Ravine was the hardest trail I ran.

Forgot to mention, I ran my heep on the 31" MTR-k's, open/open diffs, on many trails in Moab. No issues. The terrain is pretty much non-like most California trails you have run.

Open/open, budget boost and 31s, ran Spider/Spike/Rim, had to winch across the Crack, otherwise no problems.

With F/R lockers, proper bump stopping and/or cut fenders, only Pritchett might be difficult on 31s.
In my experience, 31s and 4.10s worked pretty good on my 92, but towing our lightweight travel trailer in the mountains kinda sucked.

Don't think I'd want to tow much at all on 32s and 4.10s

Thanks, Less. Good info. I'm towing a small 6x4 mil surplus trailer outfitted for camping. Nothing like what you pictured.

I think I'll go with 31s. Now the question is whether I go for more bumpstopping or trimming and new flares.

Bumpstops are pretty much necessary regardless of trimming. Trim what you feel comfortable, bumpstop from there.

Back