• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Sporadic Idle, Running rich, and stalling

Theobutters

NAXJA Forum User
I have done countless hours of research on this topic and have come up empty handed. :( I have a 1989 Cherokee, 4.0, Automatic with 197000 miles. I scored this jeep for $600 as it wasn't running because the ground from the engine to the firewall was disconnected haha. It has been running really bad since. When my jeep is idling it fluctuates between 300 and 600 and sounds like it has a cam, and smells very rich. The things I have done to this vehicle are a custom CAI, ground refresh, plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor. I tested the brand new TPS and it has a brand new Idle air controller. While testing the TPS I found that there is low voltage coming from the ECM..After all of this I have discovered that the engine in this jeep is out of a 91-93?? Because it has a coolant temperature sensor in the thermostat housing instead of in the side of the block. This sensor is not hooked up, the only one that is is at the back of the head. I'm pretty sure this is a big part of my issues and I was wondering what I can do to either adapt the connector for the old sensor over or get a new sensor for the hole in the block, which is plugged.

Put a renix coolant sensor in the block like the factory did and try it again

Back