• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on cheap LED lights

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't had my XJ for a while but I just picked up an M1078 deuce and a half to use for my machine shop (that was the excuse anyway :looney:). I want to add a couple large round LED lights up front. The cheaper ones (under $100/pr) I'm seeing on Amazon seem to have great reviews, and I'm sure they're bright, but I'm wondering how they hold up over time.

Something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Nilight®-Roun...id=1439305768&sr=1-1&keywords=round+led+light

What does a $400 Rigid or PIAA set get you over this?

11032599_767906188219_6424787362184058157_n_zpsuwkg8z4g.jpg

Been wondering this myself as I look at a $100 50" curved led bar

In for answers

I've installed many different brands of LED light pods and bars in my shop. I'll throw in my $.02.

#1 There is no chinese light better than a Rigid...period...but the rigid's are way overpriced.

#2 Chinese LED's are not as bright as a Rigid. That being said, chinese led's are bright as hell and kick the crap out of your daddy's KC highlighters!!! on a brightness scale of 1-10, rigid's being 10, I'd say most cheap led's come in at an 8

#3 I've never had water incursion or moisture issues with a Rigid. I'd say at least 25% of the chinese crap I've put on has gotten foggy lenses and moisture inside. Now you can disassemble the light and caulk all your seams and joints with a clear silicone to fix the problem but it's a pain in the ass. But hey you got a 50" lightbar for $120...put the work in slacker!!!

Hell I mounted a chinese 12" lightbar on my fatbike's handlebars.

For my own personal DirtRiot XJ I'll be using Chinese Amazon LED's. But hey I'm on a budget and I'd rather put the $700 saved into my suspension or drivetrain.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ES3F0Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
815W3zt4ZfL._SL1500_.jpg

These work well. I've beaten the hell outta mine and they've spent lots of time underwater. They're nothing compared to my 52" 300W light bar ($120), but for round LED's under $60 a pair, they're pretty damned nice.
Rock solid construction, no heat issues, very low draw, more than sufficient to light up the trail for wheeling.
I've since gone to slight smaller square LED's for my side spots and the light bar for the front.

Back