• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some HELP with charging system.

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys so my jeep was idling weird and I checked my voltage and whole running it was down around 13 volts. I pulled the alternator, took it to have it tested and it failed the test three times, so I bought a new one and got home and installed it. It started going up in volts and I thought all was fine, then after 3 minutes the engine was acting weird and I tested it again and the volts are again plummeting. They were at 13.3 and falling with the motor running. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mike.

How old is your battery?

I tested it from the battery posts, it was running up to 14 volts fine and then all of a sudden it just started dropping. Newish battery, brand new alternator. I am at a loss. It was just dropping fast.

On the bench, in the little machine they have at autozone. It failed three times. Couldn't get it to the store. Could the brand new alternator be toast? I don't feel like pulling it to have it tested just for it to show good.

If you bought the replacement at autozone then there's a non-trivial chance that it is defective out of the box

I would try to do some more tests though. One would be to check voltage at the alternator output while battery voltage is dropping, see if its the same

If you bought the replacement at autozone then there's a non-trivial chance that it is defective out of the box

"Lifetime Warranty" parts have the highest rate of failure. Faulty right out of the box is common.

The dashboard gauge should show 13.8-14.4 volts. If it shows less, I would suspect the alternator, and load test the battery.

Back