• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Exhaust hanger

Euology101

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any fab-ed a modified version of the stock exhaust hanger, out of off the shelf parts? My exhaust bounces off of my gas tank shield and is driving me nuts.

Previous owner installed a Hanson Offroad Rear Tire carrier, which uses the frame rail on either side of the gas tank to secure with a large angle. Obviously when this was installed, the installer didn't come up with a solution for the afore mentioned exhaust hanger....

They also did a crap install as the bolt on the shackle rubs the outside of this angle, and has dug a nice arc into it, but that is another story. :mad:

I didn't realize any of this until I ordered an OE hanger (assuming Midas removed it when they put the new muffler on, again, PO, not me) and I just crawled under there, and saw that I can't install the OE hanger. I have a new Dynomax on it's way and want to have a solution before I install it.

Thanks in advance.

1999 XJ, incase it matters. Bolts for the OE hanger are being used by the angle that secures the rear tire carrier.

I just looked around in the exhaust parts section until I found a universal hanger that would fit.

Without seeing pictures of the angle that might interfere I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but here goes:

On my '96 the frame rail is tapped (perhaps some sort of insert) and a pair of bolts thread into the frame rail to hold the exhaust hanger. I am guessing this is the picture on your '99. However, I noticed on some earlier XJs there was once a metal plate with a pair of studs which was installed on the surface of the frame rail. A pair of nuts were used for the exhaust hanger and the plate was mounted using the bolts holes for the receiver hitch. I wonder if this would fit over the hardware you already have in place? It would end up being dropped a half inch or so lower than originally intended. Bolt holes at each end would probably have to be elongated.

Again, not having seen the situation I don't know if this is useful or not.

5DSC_0799Crop.jpg

Deeds Engineerng Billet hanger. There's more info in my build thread.
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245623739&postcount=50

I just looked around in the exhaust parts section until I found a universal hanger that would fit.

I went over, and picked up a Dynomax 35103, Hoping I can figure something out with this. After doing more searching, I saw several photos where people used this, in one way or another

Thanks for the tip.

Without seeing pictures of the angle that might interfere I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but here goes:

On my '96 the frame rail is tapped (perhaps some sort of insert) and a pair of bolts thread into the frame rail to hold the exhaust hanger. I am guessing this is the picture on your '99. However, I noticed on some earlier XJs there was once a metal plate with a pair of studs which was installed on the surface of the frame rail. A pair of nuts were used for the exhaust hanger and the plate was mounted using the bolts holes for the receiver hitch. I wonder if this would fit over the hardware you already have in place? It would end up being dropped a half inch or so lower than originally intended. Bolt holes at each end would probably have to be elongated.

Again, not having seen the situation I don't know if this is useful or not.

You are correct, the 99's have the same plate, with 2 studs, and rubber band style isolator.... I purchased one from Amazon, crawled under, and found that I couldn't use it because the plate interferes with the bumper support attached to the frame rail.

5DSC_0799Crop.jpg

Deeds Engineerng Billet hanger. There's more info in my build thread.
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245623739&postcount=50

I just want to touch your exhaust.....
That bracket is simply beautiful. That being said, if you imagined that bracket, rotated 180 degrees to where the vertical portion was closer to the shackle instead of the gas tank, thats pretty much what I have in that exact same place but supporting my bumper.

I think the universal I picked up at Advance should get me through the hiccup, but I need to dig in more and figure out how to fully support the bumper, install shackle relocations, and hang my exhaust, all off of the same 3 bolds in the frame rail.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I have little to no access to tools to fabricate, and hate paying someone for something I know I can do.

Back