• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source for coolant temp sender connector 1996 XJ

Bryan C.

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1996 XJ 4.0L. Need a new connector for the coolant temp sender unit for my gauge. Old one broke, all I have it the bare terminal on the sending unit pin. It is the small white rectangular style temp sender unit that screws into the cylinder head near the firewall. I know I can find one at a wrecking yard, but I would like to buy a new one. Napa couldn't find one, can't seem to find a listing on the interweb, and the MOPAR discontined the item. In the past I got one for a friend from Napa that had the connector in the box, but the one my local Napa had only has the sending unit in the box. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
There are two wire coolant temp sensor plugs available at Rock Auto and other parts stores.

That type of one wire plug seems to be less common. Possibly is used for other plug connections. I've found some electronic plugs at stores such as Digi-Key, Mouser, etc., have thousands of connectors, can be difficult to search for unless you have a part number, plug type description, measurements, etc.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, this is NOT the coolant temp sensor for the computer in the thermostat housing.

As for a part# I might be able to track that down through the parts dept. I know they used a similar sensor for the 5.2L in the ZJ up unitl 98, but tracking that down seems just as difficult.

I would prefer to not change over to the older style. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can find one at the wrecking yard if I have to. Thanks.

Just to be clear, this is NOT the coolant temp sensor for the computer in the thermostat housing.

As for a part# I might be able to track that down through the parts dept. I know they used a similar sensor for the 5.2L in the ZJ up unitl 98, but tracking that down seems just as difficult.

I would prefer to not change over to the older style. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can find one at the wrecking yard if I have to. Thanks.

I would just swap out the sensor for the one with a stud terminal.

OEM has individual plug connectors for an OEM harness? or you're talking after-market? I suppose they did at one time or at least use to have a source for them.

Older vehicle aftermarket and OEM often have parts only if their being ordered and sometimes when considered a classic vehicle. OEM and aftermarket parts are continually being discontinued, unless there is a market for them.

If you can post a pic of the connector, I'll try to find one that might fit. Connectors usually have data sheets and specifications.

e.g. a two wire can also be used. I can't remember exactly what the harness connector looks like

This isn't your connector, just an example. It uses round pins. From what I remember your's uses one flat pin.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/776534-1/A104218-ND/1834636

Last edited:
Back