• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic Fuel Pump LockNut Won't Go Back On

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
Damn plastic wheel nut will NOT go back on. Threads look undamaged. I lined up the beginning thread and started it, but then it just pops up on a side with a gap. It's pissing me off.

FQkYkZp.jpg

h2MCMw8.jpg

You can see the gap. Is there something I'm missing here? I thought I had it on but there was still a slight gap. This is literally the last pain in the ass bit to putting this tank back in and putting the Jeep back on the road.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Walk away for an hour and grab a beer or some food, come back with a fresh start. That ring can be a royal bitch. I did 5 pumps in a year once, never got any easier.

Walk away for an hour and grab a beer or some food, come back with a fresh start. That ring can be a royal bitch. I did 5 pumps in a year once, never got any easier.

Any other tips or is it basically just blind luck?

It is a PITA. Try pushing down on it with your hand or fingers on all sides and turn. To tighten, use the same method you used to loosen it, probably a big screwdriver and hammer. Make sure its tight.

I seem to remember having trouble with mine as well, it took a few tries to get it to thread correctly. I turned it in reversed until I felt it drop off the threads if that makes sense, then tightened it and it eventually went on fine. Make sure its fully flat as you start to thread it not lop sided.

There's a special wrench available to install those
lock rings, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I always lube the rings and O-ring with a light grease,
such as dielectric grease. That helps a lot.

There's a special wrench available to install those
lock rings, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I always lube the rings and O-ring with a light grease,
such as dielectric grease. That helps a lot.

Do you know how tight it needs to be?

Use your knee to seat the pump in the tank,

then push down on the lock ring, and spin it backwards until you feel a jump.

once you feel that jump, keep pushing down and thread it on

Back