• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding speakers in 98 2dr

XJ 2.5

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 se model with 2 crappy door speakers, that's it. I already put in a head unit, and I'm gonna upgrade the door speakers, but I want rear speakers and I'm wondering where to put them, and if the factory harness includes the wiring for more speakers. I have the hatch panel off rough now because the latch was stuck, and it looks like there's enough space for speakers, or should I spend the money and get a soundbar?

A sound bar or a whole headliner would be easier. A 98-01 headliner wire harness will plug into the existing wire harness near the right rear tailight. I just swapped in a Classic headliner with overhead console trip computer and rear speakers to replace a dirty and damaged SE headliner. You could grab just the speaker wire harness from a suitable donor.

It sure would be nice to have the overhead console too. I'll have to start searching the local junkyards for a soundbar, my headliners mint but if I find one with a console that's a bonus. If I just get a soundbar could I put it under my headliner? Or get a 84-96 that fits over the headliner and paint to match

Those overhead rear speaker bars aren't too stout. Mine shakes and makes all sorts of noise. The baffle width is pretty poor for sound too (not going to get any bass out of them). Does your 98 have those goofy cubby holes in the back side panels that my earlier four door does? (Like behind the stock location for the spare?) I'd put a panel over that hole and stick the speakers in there. The hatch panel isn't a bad option either.

Paul

There's a cubby hole on the passenger side, but not the driver side. I was also thinking the rear seat kick panels, since it's a 2 door, so that might work too. I'm thinkin about getting a 8 or 10 inch sub, nothing too crazy since I don't listen to rap but enough for some decent bass

I could probably build the speaker enclosures, have some junk particle boards laying around, but that is a good idea. I was also thinking about the cubby sub box, which for over 100 bucks I'd rather try to make something myself. Do you have any pictures of it uninstalled?

I do not have a picture of it before I mounted it. Basically it is a box that fills up the entire area behind the panel with a larger front piece to mount it. There was a guy on the angry eyes forum who would make and sell boxes similar, but they stuck out to the edge of the fenderwell.

For $25, it's not worth my time to make 6x9 enclosures.

I'll have to pull the panel off and take a look. I have a buddy with a crapload of subs, speakers, amps etc so I'll see what he's got hopefully I can fit a 10 in there

You can't get much volume for the box in that spot

I was also thinking have the box come out flush with the wheel well, which should give me plenty of volume, and maybe even fit a 12 in there. I just don't want to lose too much cargo space

Back