• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Lockers for a budget

jkcullens

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering about installing lockers in my XJ and mine just happens to have the 8.25 in it. Is it worth installing the lockers or would it be more beneficial to find a Dana rear axle from a u pull it and installing in then getting lockers. We all know that a 4x4 isn't a 4x4 if it can't put power to all 4 corners. And what are your suggestions. I saw that there is a company called Lokka automatic lockers are they any good? Or what do you know I the best for the price out there.

are we talking about true lockers, or lunchbox style? Lunch box style is cheeper, like around 250$, and you can install them yourself 90% of the time. This was the one I was going to get:http://www.spartanlocker.com/

Lokka also has had high praise from people on here.

Define "best" ?

The D44 is only slightly better than the 8.25, and is difficult locate and usually expensive to buy.

Probably the best mod on my XJ and CJ-7 was the lockers. I installed Lock Right/lunchbox type lockers due to the low price and the do-it-yourself install. I actually used a Lock Right and a Powertrax No-Slip. From all I have read, the other brands are just as good.

If you are only going to install one locker, start with the rear axle.

Last edited:
Lunchbox lockers are the way to go for most people on a budget. I would do the front 1st as the rear tends to push when locked and that is made worse when the 1 front tire with power has no traction. A locked front open rear feels more maneuverable than the opposite in my opinion. Also the front seems to lose traction more on tough climbs due to weight transfer.

Lokka lockers.. They are 200$ for D30 and 250$ for 8.25

Lunchbox locker is a term for auto/insert lockers that can typically be installed without removing the carrier/gears from the housing.
I personally do not have lokka lockers, but there are many people on these forums that have them with no complaints.

ok that is good to hear I had my sights on the lokkas and wasn't quite sure about them. But they sound all fine and dandy. So a lunchbox it is.

My front Aussie Locker works great. When it is time to get a rear, I'll go back to Aussie - and they are a National Sponsor of NAXJA.

I'm not intending on building a purpose spect off road rig. Just a mild built daily that could go out there and make Bubba with his Z71 that his daddy bought look stupid.

a standard lunchbox is perfect for you.

ive put em through hell in a few axles on a few jeeps and have only had to change some pins. make sure you get the shim spacing correct and you shouldn't have pin issues.

i got a yukon spartan locker and was impressed with the design differences. much easier to install, seems stronger in the right places.

I like Detroit lockers -- solid rep, good name. Lok-rite, and no slip are also reputable names. I've never heard of lokkas, but then again, I put my detroits in about ten years ago and haven't kept up. The lunch box lockers will lock up on tight turns, no big deal, but you'll hear them spool up and pop, it'll sound like something breaking, and they can get squirrly if you're in the rain or snow and drive like an idiot. But like I said, I've had them for ten years, after you get used to them, you forget they're there.

other options are arb air lockers -- which you can engage with a switch, but these are a LOT more $$$ and much more difficult to install. For casual offroad, a lunchbox is the best route.

Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here. Yes, we are a proud national supporter of NAXJA!

All lunch box lockers are not equal, while the deigns looks similar, the alloy of steel used and quality control is paramount to the longevity of the gear teeth and overall integrity of the locker.

Aussie Lockers are the only automatic locker made in the USA with certified USA 9310 hardened alloy steel at a world-class ISO9001 certified CNC machining facility.

A company owned and operated by offroaders, we are here for you! Let me know if I can help with any other questions, or feel free to give us a call anytime 585-723- 14 89, or shoot us an email CustomerService @ AussieLocker.com

Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here. Yes, we are a proud national supporter of NAXJA!

All lunch box lockers are not equal, while the deigns looks similar, the alloy of steel used and quality control is paramount to the longevity of the gear teeth and overall integrity of the locker.

Aussie Lockers are the only automatic locker made in the USA with certified USA 9310 hardened alloy steel at a world-class ISO9001 certified CNC machining facility.

A company owned and operated by offroaders, we are here for you! Let me know if I can help with any other questions, or feel free to give us a call anytime 585-723- 14 89, or shoot us an email CustomerService @ AussieLocker.com

ive been running this product for over 4 years in my 8.25", cromo's, and 4.56's. I would not recommend any other for a lunchbox. I would have never thought id get this much use out of it.

Props on the support cora!

Bronze.

Back