• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Stalls after reaching 210 degrees

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some trouble with my 124k mile 4.0 AW4 XJ. Here are the symptoms:

1. Have to hold accelerator after starting or it will stall
2. Once warm, I can release the accelerator
3. Drive for 20-30 minutes and the oil pressure drops at idle
4. Stalls at idle, will not immediately restart
5. Wait 20 min, will restart

I will be honest, I do not even know where or how to begin troubleshooting. So if you could break it down Barney style, I would greatly appreciate it.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem.

A faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor may also cause similar symptoms. Testing of the CTS is recommended as part of the diagnostics. A poor ground at the ignition coil can also cause similar symptoms.

The reboot symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will usually relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will usually start and idle normally.

Tim_Mn I have the same issue but on my 1987 2.5L. I did have battery die and issues. However now I hav e to keep foot on accelerator a lot. However sometimes that issue does seem to go away. Any idea what I may check?

Back