• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misalignment spacers stuck!

outkast7222

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else have a problem with high misalignment spacers getting stuck on a bolt? I built new steering for the Rubican't and I tightened down the bolt on the pitman arm during mock up the next day I went to take it apart and the damn things won't slide off the bolt.

During assembly the fit was not overly tight, I admit I tightened the crap out of them but never had this happen before. It's almost like the spacers squeezed together closing up the hole a bit. Literally had to beat them off with a hammer. Not happy at all.

BTW this is with Ruffstuff high misalignment spacers with built in safety washer.

I had the same thing happen, lucky it was single sheer. I tried to save the misalignment washers by soaking it in wd 40 and using a press and heat, just bent the washers and blew the joint apart, never got the bolt out.

Yea, they are not rusted on or corroded, it's like the spacers actually squished down a bit.

I'd be willing to bet you have the stainless variety. It's fairly common actually due to the low yield strength and thin sections where it's been machined. FWIW I've found the steel spacers seem to hold up better.

Last edited:
Huh well I guess as long as I don't break a bolt I should be OK until the joints wear out. The only thing that sucks is I was mocking it up with course thread bolts so I had it double nutted instead of good lock nuts.

Huh well I guess as long as I don't break a bolt I should be OK until the joints wear out. The only thing that sucks is I was mocking it up with course thread bolts so I had it double nutted instead of good lock nuts.
??????

I was under the impression that all other things being the same, a fine thread bolt will utilize a higher torque value, resulting in a higher clamping force

this always happens with the ruffstuff safety spacers for me. I don't know why but I stopped using their safety misalignments.

I use the ballistic spacers and have never had this problem.
Id recommend course thread bolts, I used to use fine thread for the clamping force but they get dirty or threads get easily damage and can be next to impossible to do trail repairs once the threads are screwed up.

I use the ballistic spacers and have never had this problem.
Id recommend course thread bolts, I used to use fine thread for the clamping force but they get dirty or threads get easily damage and can be next to impossible to do trail repairs once the threads are screwed up.

I guess I have never had problems with the fine thread stuff, I just always used them because it's easier to find good metal lock nuts for the fine thread. For now I am using the course threaded stuff with regular nuts and doubled up. I don't run it on the road so I am not to concerned about them coming loose. If it doesn't loosen up on me before the joints are junk I will probably do the same next time just to save hassle of getting good bolts and nuts.

I used to use joints and spacers from ballistic but had problem with a couple orders and vowed I would stop spending money with them. I guess next time I just go back to a regular high misalignment spacers and actual safety washer.

Last edited:
Back