• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 drivetrain question

gray_penguin

NAXJA Forum User
I have owned a 1999 4cyl XJ for the last 8 years (310K) and just purchased a 2001 XJ with the 6cyl (140K). Both have manual transmission.

My question is, then I drive the 2001 there is a very noticeable jerkiness when it transitions from going along at a constant speed to coast to slight exceleration. Almost like there is a lot of (slack / play / looseness) in the transmission or transfer case. But when I get under both and rock them back and forth the "Play" seems about the same.

Is this just a "more power" thing or is this a sign of worn out gears / bearings?

Start by checking the slip joint of driveshaft at transfer case & u-joints.

Its easier to spot with the rear tires off the ground so its not bound up.

Probably just a more power thing. Practice easing onto and off of the gas pedal instead of stabbing at it. Practice a more controlled left leg on the clutch pedal, and match the rpms when you shift. Checking u-joints and engine/trans mounts is a good idea.

The U-joints and mounts all seem good. Its just that it is almost like a jake break kicks on when I barely let off the gas. I am hoping it is just the fact that I have only driven 4cyl jeeps. Or some thing that can be adjusted at the intake, like maybe too strong of a spring maybe...

The gas and the clutch are not on\off, you have to feather them.

Back