• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrenchin' 101 - lesson learned

Jeep'nD

NAXJA Forum User
When working under the hood, even though the nice flat surface of the battery appears to be a great place to rest tools while you wrench away, be careful not to drag a long metal object across the top of the battery and touch both pos and neg terminals at the same time. It makes for some excitement and sparks. It also leaves a nice black mark on your tool where the negative terminal touched. Happy wrenchin'.

No pain whatsoever. Since there was less resistance across the tool than across my body and into the floor I received no shock.

BTW no tool swelling that I've noticed yet! :( However the voices in my head have been gone for a half day now. That's kinda refreshing. :gee:

Lesson number 2.. I learned along time ago.

disconect the battery before changing starter..

or at least remove your watch.... lest ye be removing it from the frame of a 69 chevy truck... :D after it welded itself to it.. your wrist will smell like hamburger... :D

Yep always provides for an ecxciting time:doh: Don't worry, I think most of us have been there 1 time or another :shhh:

99-750.gif

Outside of school, I've been working as an electrician for the last few years and I have seen my fair share of fireworks. A good shock will really wake you up on those "didn't stop for coffee" mornings. Go stick a screwdriver in one of your standard 110 outlets, you'll see what I'm talking about.

RINGKONG said:

or at least remove your watch.... lest ye be removing it from the frame of a 69 chevy truck... :D after it welded itself to it.. your wrist will smell like hamburger... :D

Would you happen to have a pic of that??? That sounds cool!!!

"yes sir... this chevy is a great deal.... it even comes with embedded time keeping mechanism in the frame"

Kejtar

RINGKONG said:

Lesson 3:
If your vehicle overheats, squeeze the hose to check for pressure BEFORE trusting the cap to stop at the bleed position...

Ask to see my scars and about Arby's Roast Beef....

Rev

Lesson 2 - A:

Remove ring from finger prior to working around said battery (and PULL on the wrench, don't push toward that narrow space between the positive post and the whatever).

Not from personal experience, just advice from my old HS auto shop instructor.

When loosening that hard to reach bolt right next to all the sharp pointy things, double up your hand wrench and get more torque on it. Much better than leaving behind a finger.

Would it be laughable or unmanly to wear leather work gloves while wrenchin'?

Jeep'nD said:
Would it be laughable or unmanly to wear leather work gloves while wrenchin'?

Yes.

Common, real men's hands take a beating & keep coming back for more........(or something like that).

So you must mean some real manly hands like these

hands.gif

or perhaps these

Holding%20Hands.jpg

RINGKONG said:
or at least remove your watch....

My old man did that. Had a wrench laying on top of the battery and used his Seiko to complete the circuit between the posts. My dad didn't normally cuss. I learned a few new words that day.

RR3

Back