• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arm bent, how bad did I mess up?

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0 4WD 293K stock

I was having a tough time getting the XJ jacked up to change my front brake pads the other day. (Go ahead, laugh, it gets better.) Like a complete idiot, I decided that if I put the jack under the lower control arm that the suspension wouldn't be able drop the tire as I raised the vehicle. It looked solid, why not? :idea:Bright idea, right? :yelclap: It got the job done, but when I looked at what I had done, I realized I had made a huge mistake.
The LCA was bent/torqued out towards the wheel. I should have known better.

I knocked it back into shape with a BFH the best I could. It seems to make the front end shake a little at speeds over 45mph. I thought about taking both of the LCAs off to replace the bushings since they need it anyway and trying to straighten the one I bent a little better. Should I just get a replacement for it?

Yes, if its bent it should be replaced. Bending steel back and forth weakens it. I recommend MOOG control arms. Most of the others are Chinese with at least cheap Chinese bushings. Chinese commodity steel or rubber is not something I want in my suspension.

Yes, if its bent it should be replaced. Bending steel back and forth weakens it. I recommend MOOG control arms. Most of the others are Chinese with at least cheap Chinese bushings. Chinese commodity steel or rubber is not something I want in my suspension.

I hear good things about MOOG from everyone. Unfortunately my budget is tight right now. I'd like to find a good one on a parts Jeep.

Is that basically a universal part?

You might try Amazon or Rock Auto, or Advance with coupons for a deal. I suggest replacing both at the same time and be sure to tighten the bolts with the full weight of the vehicle on the tires - no floor jacks/jack stands present. As far as I know all XJ's took the same LCA's.

I hear good things about MOOG from everyone. Unfortunately my budget is tight right now. I'd like to find a good one on a parts Jeep.

Is that basically a universal part?
Yes, you can get one used arm and replace the bushings.

Good luck!

Back