• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power locks are not working

Dustinsteven22

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie and purchased a 96 XJ sport this year. My Jeep is stock and I'm looking to slowly upgrade different parts overtime.

My power door locks stopped working. When I attempt to unlock the doors from the drivers door, I can hear a clicking sound underneath the dash, near the steering column. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find the answer for this question.

What do I need to do to get the power locks working again?

Thanks D

Last edited:
I'm a newbie and purchased a 96 XJ sport this year. My Jeep is stock and I'm looking to slowly upgrade different parts overtime.

My power door locks stopped working. When I attempt to unlock the doors from the drivers door, I can hear a clicking sound underneath the dash, near the steering column. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find the answer for this question.

What do I need to do to get the power locks working again?

Thanks D

Start taking it apart and see if there is power is going to the doors. The relay or fuse may be bad too.

I had same problem in my 2001. I can't find the video but on YouTube a guy posted a very good checklist and how to trouble shoot. He mentions that the door locks are actually controlled by the passenger side. I had a spare door and switched in that passenger side module and was easy fix.

2nd on Xxjintx, the door locks are all ganged at the passenger side. Take off the door trim and look at the wiring harness as it comes into the door, wires tend to break right there. Also reseat the connections at the passenger control module.

Back