• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POSJ's SWB Build

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not that it really matters at this point if it's SWB or LWB...

Besides replacing the whole rear frame section, has anybody actually plated theirs? What did you do about the stiffening bead above the wheelwell? I am going to try relocating my spare tire under my flatbed and since I have the bed off I was thinking about plating it. Prior to cutting out the crossmember.

20150706_202538_zpscdqasqsr.jpg

20150706_202555_zpsjfc9xnm9.jpg

Re: Rear frame, SWB

it's pretty stout as is. Unless you need to attach stuff to it I don't think any strength gains would be worth the effort and weight.

Mine was halfway rusted through and still took a beating .
The front needs help though.

Since you have your bed off, and I saw part of it already, can you take pics of how your fuel tank is mounted. I know factory is mount from frame to bed bottom.

Since you have your bed off, and I saw part of it already, can you take pics of how your fuel tank is mounted. I know factory is mount from frame to bed bottom.

20150707_213230_zpsuwoxvi4p.jpg

20150707_213244_zpsvjp0hcwn.jpg

Hope this helps, just box tube bolted to stock straps with stock skid. I'm going to change it up and make it so the box tube stays with the Jeep if the bed is on or not.

This might end up being my build/rebuild thread...

Broke the rear window yesterday, lawnmower threw a rock. Not happy.

20150718_165535_zpscnqmqboq.jpg

Anybody know where to get one?

Try comancheclub forums? If you were in Cali I have a non slider that I could part with.

This might end up being my build/rebuild thread...

Broke the rear window yesterday, lawnmower threw a rock. Not happy.

Anybody know where to get one?

PM shortxjdoug

he has a broken slider, but I'm not sure which side he broke.

The glass is not available. unless you find a used unit you're SOL.

it's also not a straight piece of glass. It's curved, very slightly. Enough to make a flat piece not fit.

PM shortxjdoug

he has a broken slider, but I'm not sure which side he broke.

The glass is not available. unless you find a used unit you're SOL.

it's also not a straight piece of glass. It's curved, very slightly. Enough to make a flat piece not fit.

Ok thanks, yeah the center section is already plexiglass. If I end up replacing the left side with lexan or plexi I'm going to do all three and tint them before putting it in.

Rear frame, SWB

Thats the one i broke too. Ill double check, but im pretty sure i only have the center slider and the pass side

The link posted above is the only style I could find for a replacement tyler. I looked into putting a new one in when it got painted. I was probably the most hated thing I had to do was cut that plexi for the slider. this was only after a week solid of looking for a "nice" replacement. One of the things that stuck out like a sore thumb to me once it was done. I could not justify putting a solid pane window in there. Sliders are soooo nice with the wing windows.

At least that rock didn't get the paint!

Bronze.

Pricey but awesome, thank you.

if it really fits like OEM I don't think it's an unreasonable price at all.

30 year old sliders are going for more than that on the used market.

Soooo, I finally got the window in today. One thing I am not thrilled about is that it is not factory style. You have what is pretty much 3M double sided tape between the window frame and the body, you then drill six screws through the pinch seem and the window frame to mount it...trying to figure out if I want to go this route now.

You can use normal windshield adhesive to hold it in. Make spacers to keep it centered in the frame. I used framing shims from Lowes. Once installed hold it in place with 2" painters tape and let it sit for a day or so to fully cure. I did mine this way and it has been fine for 6 years.

Back