• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No wipers, 89 MJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Help me out guys. My son is 2 hours away in the pouring rain in a remote part of VA and his wipers quit. He has no mechanical knowledge and I'm unable to help him. What could the most likely thing be that he could check. He has no diagnostic equipment or tools.

I was thinking the bulkhead connector but he gave that a wiggle and it made no difference. The stalk switch is a possibility but i'm thinking it could be the ignition switch, fuse or the wiper motor itself. Everything else seems to work

I'm hooking the trailer up now but hoping the weather clears so he can get to his destination and I can drive out and fix it tomorrow.

This sucks, very helpless feeling.....

Check fuses?

I have no trouble-shooting answers for you, but only one tip. A liquid called RAIN-X is useful as a first-aid measure in which to get mobile. The instructions call for application, and hand buffing. In pouring rain that can't be followed 100%, but repeat applications here, and there, along his way will greatly help. I'd slop/spread that stuff around, mainly on the windshield in front of the driver's side vision area, and repeat as necessary. That product, and there are others, will help rain to slide away from the glass under speed.

Also, if he can't find that, or similar products, can remove the passenger's side wiper, and reach around, and swipe the glass.

Lastly, he could just camp out in his vehicle until the rain stops.

From what I have read it seems the intermittent wiper module bad. I could just have him unplug the module and plug the two harnesses together and he would have hi/low

Correct?

Can anyone tell me if the wiper module is the same on a 96 as it is on a 89? I have one in my parts barn and it looks the same but I can't find part numbers to cross reference it. I also need the circuit breaker. I can't seem to source one

Can anyone tell me if the wiper module is the same on a 96 as it is on a 89? I have one in my parts barn and it looks the same but I can't find part numbers to cross reference it. I also need the circuit breaker. I can't seem to source one

Okay, for those that might search my question;

The "intermittent wiper module" is the same from 84-96

The circuit breaker is actually called a "wiper relay" by Jeep, part number;
MOPAR 56001110 - 4.8 Amp Circuit Breaker.

It is still available through Quadratec; http://www.quadratec.com/products/17015_8000.htm

FIXED! I drove the 4 hours yesterday to fix my son's truck. I took everything I needed which included;

Wiper module
Wiper motor
Rebuilt linkage assembly
Wiper relay/circuit breaker
Stalk multifunction switch

His wiper module was fried, but after replacing that the wipers would not function. I pulled the assembly out of the cowl and immediately saw the issue. One of the motor screws had backed out and locked up the linkage! I went ahead and installed the new linkage with the new motor so he would be good to go for a while.

Like my son says, she is getting rebuilt one piece at a time

Back