• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to early HO A/C component interchangeable?

DaveXJCO

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Cherokee. Factory a/c. I have a trip coming up soon and need to replace my compressor to condense hose. I found a 91 hose and was curious if it will fit. The early HO Cherokees still ran r 12. But a different style 4.0. I have also read that people buy 91 and up parts and bolt them in place of the r12 parts as an upgrade when going to r134. Mine worked fine for years and just recently quit. I have found 90 degree r134 fittings and ordered this hose. It seems to be the same on the fittings in the picture but size, I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience swapping hoses over. Need to get it recharged here next week. Going wheeling where it's going to be hot.

13 years ago my wife had a 91 cherokee I converted to 134 and I remember the compressor setup being the same as my 90 I'm currently converting in another thread but I can't remember what the hoses were like. Have you seen the hose? Or is it easy to return uf it doesnt fit? Maybe just get it if its not much cost or can be returned easily to check.

The hoses are different as they connect to the condenser differently.

It can be done with a new condenser for a later model.

I had the local AC shop make me new hoses.

I picked the hose up today. It is different. Fitting ends seem to he the same size. But, the 91-93 line seems to go under the battery tray. My tray is not molded for that clearance. Otherwise a few extra tweeks to a couple of bends and it may have worked. I think I'm going to just toss the r134 adapters on and charge it for the moment. Need it only for three days. It leaked out a lot slower than that. After this weekend I can start collecting all the parts to update it and get it reliable.

I think I'm going to just toss the r134 adapters on and charge it for the moment. Need it only for three days.

make sure you evacuate the system completely and change the oil if you go this route-- the r12 mineral oil is useless when used with r134a. A new accumulator is highly recommended also, as the desiccant in the r12 unit doesn't play well with the r134a.

Back