• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

g2 rear disc conversion question

Just_Josh

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 93 XJ sport last month. I'm going to switch out the rear drum brakes to discs on the chrysler 8.25 and I'm pretty sure it's got c-clips. I picked up the g2 conversion kit but I seem to be missing the retaining plates that the instructions say should be there. Reading further into the instructions, it states c-clip applications don't require removal of old axle seals and bearings unless they need to be replaced. Does that mean I won't need the plates if I have c-clips?

Correct - the plates they're talking about are the bearing retainer plates seen on non-C-clip axles.

Here's what you'll do:

1. Remove all your existing drum brake hardware, and disconnect the parking brake cables.
  2. Drop the rear diff cover and remove the differential cross pin.
  3. Push each axle shaft in, at which point the C-clips should fall off/out. Fish them out of the pumpkin if need be.
  4. Remove the axle shafts.
  5. Remove the backing plates.
  6. Replace the backing plate mounting studs with longer ones (looks like the G2 kit includes them). BFH works well for this.
  7. Install the new backing plates.
  8. Bend the brake hard lines as described in the instructions.
  9. Re-install the axle shafts.
  10. Install remaining parts.
Pretty simple when it comes down to it.

You have to be impressed though, with the quality of the parts and complete kit that G/2 has put together... I typically dislike anything Transamerican (G/2, shittybilt, rubicon express, pro-crap, and now we shall see with Poison Spider what they do to it).

But the G/2 kit has Centric Premium slotted rotors, and calipers. As well as includes very nice brake hoses, and all the little hardware items, some even in duplicate.

I did the disk swap on my 98 and it was really easy.
But before you start layout all the parts to make sure you have them all.
When I did mine I didn't I found out that mine had two passenger outside break pads. I ended up grinding off the tab to work on driver side and works great.
I also bought a rear proportioning valve.

Hey Josh, have you considered also going to the dual diaphragm booster?

I have not. What booster would I need?

I did the disk swap on my 98 and it was really easy.
But before you start layout all the parts to make sure you have them all.
When I did mine I didn't I found out that mine had two passenger outside break pads. I ended up grinding off the tab to work on driver side and works great.
I also bought a rear proportioning valve.

I already found they left out the retaining plates so I'll double check the pads. They were attached to the calipers already so I didn't really pay attention. Everything else was definitely there.

I have not. What booster would I need?

I already found they left out the retaining plates so I'll double check the pads. They were attached to the calipers already so I didn't really pay attention. Everything else was definitely there.

Retainer plates? They dont come with those, nor are they part of a disc brake kit for a C-Clip style axle. A C-Clip style axle never used retainer plates, they use C-Clips to retain. Now IF you do have the TJ style D44 (the only non C-Clip style) axle then the kit does include retainer plate spacers, that you have to have installed by someone with a press. But you reuse your TJ D44 retainers.

Retainer plates? They dont come with those, nor are they part of a disc brake kit for a C-Clip style axle. A C-Clip style axle never used retainer plates, they use C-Clips to retain. Now IF you do have the TJ style D44 (the only non C-Clip style) axle then the kit does include retainer plate spacers, that you have to have installed by someone with a press. But you reuse your TJ D44 retainers.

I figured out I don't need them but they are listed on the kit contents because it's supposed to work for D35, D44 and Chrys 8.25. It has the spacers, but no plates. It just worked out I have c-clips so not an issue they were missing.

for D35, D44 and Chrys 8.25. It has the spacers, but no plates. It just worked out I have c-clips so not an issue they were missing.

I think they realized that they only need to include either the preload spacers OR the retainer plates for disc. SO thats all they )G/2) includes, at least now. There would never be a need for retainer plates when installing this kit with whats included into a D44 TJ axle that was complete to start with. Just FYI.

I just dont want someone to think that this kit is truly missing an item that may be needed for everything needed to install. I will say that the brake pad ordeal was a one off and VERY odd. It was hard to accept that his kit had 3 pads from one side and one for the other, pre loaded in the calipers. But it was what it was. Just really a huge brain fart move by someone in packaging OR centric...

Last edited:
I think they realized that they only need to include either the preload spacers OR the retainer plates for disc. SO thats all they )G/2) includes, at least now. There would never be a need for retainer plates when installing this kit with whats included into a D44 TJ axle that was complete to start with. Just FYI.

I just dont want someone to think that this kit is truly missing an item that may be needed for everything needed to install. I will say that the brake pad ordeal was a one off and VERY odd. It was hard to accept that his kit had 3 pads from one side and one for the other, pre loaded in the calipers. But it was what it was. Just really a huge brain fart move by someone in packaging OR centric...

Once I figured out I wouldn't need the plates I called G2 just to verify if they were missing or not and the guy I talked to said "That's strange, everything listed in the instructions is supposed to be included in the kit." So I'm not sure if they really don't include them anymore like you said and expect you to buy your own if you need them (kinda defeats the purpose of buying a kit though) or if it was another packaging brain fart. Either way, I know I won't need them so I'm not worried about it. I am l going to double check the brake pads though when I get home tonight though.

So I'm not sure if they really don't include them anymore like you said and expect you to buy your own if you need them (kinda defeats the purpose of buying a kit though) or if it was another packaging brain fart. .

Maybe its not clear. IF you have a D44 now (the only axle this kit is made to fit that would use a retainer plate) and you received the kit exactly as you said you did (no retainers, but did include the spacers) then you have Everything you need. The stock retainers are used. They dont wear out, they dont ever need replacing in general.

To go from Drum to Disk (only on the D44TJ, in regards to this kit), you would need EITHER new retainers that have a Lip formed in to the retainer OR a Spacer. Not both, Ever.

Maybe picture will help.
Either this retainer with a formed lip
file_47_32.jpg

OR add in the spacer that takes up the thickness of that above retainer, for the stock drum brake retainer, that is flat, like this.
5010811AA%20Retainer%20plate%20TJ%20D44.jpg

With this spacer that is/was in your kit.
TF-8636-2.jpg

Back