• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found the XJ holy grail....Dana 44, now questions

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I was at my local JY and pulled a Dana 44 from a 1987 XJ. It has 3.07 gears so it won't be in the jeep until I regear it. My questions are, how hard is it to apply disc brakes to this, who makes the best truss for it, it is in good shape, I am going to clean it up and thinking of beefing up the axles as well. My other question is since I am eventually going to go to a 6" lift and run 33's what should I gear this to? I also have a spare 30 I will regear at the same time, will also beef up the shafts on it. Thanks for any advice. Here is a pic. Will take better ones tomorrow.
615e940c851e12b5a7ceac7479eb4340.jpg

Do yourself a HUGE favor, and pick up a set of rear discs from a ZJ Grand Cherokee (93-98) Rear axle doesn't matter they both bolt in.

So this is a direct bolt in swap? I am taking it I need the rotors, calipers, new lines and of course pads? Do I need the ZJ backing plate as well? How about wheel studs? thanks Johnnie

Zj brakes are not even close to a direct swap for a Xj 44....

Ford Explorer 8.8 discs are, in my opinion the best/easiest swap. However you will still need a bearing retainer and a few other small things. I think I have a couple threads saved, I'll post up

On the truss, doesn't really matter. I'm a fan of TNT customs trusses, but iron rock makes a decent one too

Mark Wolfes writeup (linked above) is excellent.

For the money and weight, I think the Iron Rock truss is the best for the 44. Similar to the Artec truss, but it has integrated bumpstop pads.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10497.html

I like it so much I bought a 2nd one and modified it to work on my dana 60 too.

Thanks for all the replies guys I do appreciate it. What spline should this axle be? The tag is still on the diff cover, will it be on there? Also what about gears and upgraded axle shafts. I will only be running 33's, nothing bigger. plus eventually going to a IRO 6.5 lift kit.

Stock they are 30 spline. For 33's, no reason not to stay 30 spline, but you can upgrade to 33 or 35. At 30, you can save your stock shafts for spares.

Awesome thanks Cal, is 4.56 gears good enough for 33's on 6.5" lift? I am also looking at the Yukon Chromoly shafts for the 44. Going to go ahead and beef up the shafts on the 30 as well. The 30 front axle in that 87 XJ was in good shape as well, and I picked it up. Is that a good year dana 30?

Is it a disconnect or non disconnect dana 30? Both have their benefits, but IMHO you're better off with the non disconnect housing.

Use the knuckles/brakes/bearings from a later model jeep, they made improvements over the years.

On the gears, thats something everyone debates. I'm on the side of gear deeper. For 33's, I would do 4.88's. I don't need to drive 90 mph, and the 4.0 doesnt mind spinning a little higher RPM's on the freeway anyways.

Some guys will tell you 4.88 gears are weaker than 4.56 gears. I suppose on paper that might be true, but in practice they both break equally as often, and with a full case locker up front, neither enough to worry about.

Thanks man. 4.88's it is. I found a parts jeep for 125 bucks, 1996 XJ, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. No motor or trans, I am thinking of buying it to strip what I can out of it and then sell it to a JY.

be careful of 1996. it was a retooling year, so a lot of the stuff is 1996 specific. if you don't have a 96 already, most of the electronics and sensors won't crossover.

I would at least get the 96 for the non disco front 30. You will make money selling the shell to a scrapyard.

FYI, the Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo rear Dana 44 axle housing is junk, but they have 4.10 and 4.56 ring an pinions that will swap into a Cherokee 44.

Thanks man. 4.88's it is. I found a parts jeep for 125 bucks, 1996 XJ, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. No motor or trans, I am thinking of buying it to strip what I can out of it and then sell it to a JY.

If it has a working fuel pump/regulator/sending unit you may be able to recoup somewhere from half to the full price. That is one of the pieces which are unique to the '96.

Vacuum booster is also a preferred unit, if I recall correctly.

I found a parts jeep for 125 bucks, 1996 XJ, Dana 30 front, 35 rear.
That is about what it costs me to get an axle assembly from the local U-Pull. You done good! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, I am going tomorrow morning to pick up the parts jeep. I am going to take the glass, front dana 30, fuel pump and accessories, any other odds an d ends that are left in the engine compartment, The fenders if they are in good shape, spares you know. Anything else I should go after? The local JY is going to come grab it Monday morning and pay me 210 for the shell. Not bad.

Back