• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap; no combustion and clutch to the floor

x1n54n3x

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 ax15 with a 97 4.0 motor

Just finished my swap...I know, that took way too long (re hydrolock). Anyways, everything is where is is supposed to be with the exception of the oil pressure plug, which doesn't fit my wiring harness...there's one at the store that I'll grab tomorrow.

Tried cranking this evening and it just spins. I'm assuming it's a fuel thing-the fuel line was emptied out for obvious reasons and I'm wondering how or if I need to prime it somehow.

Second issue, upon turning it over, the clutch (all internal components replaced) popped and went to the floor. Is this coincidence that my master cyl decided to take a crap just now? Should it have been bled for the new clutch components?

Thanks for the help, it's been a hell of a journey taking this thing apart and putting it back together again...I really just want to hit the road for the 4th and I'm still aiming to do that.

My 2000 will not run with the oil pressure sensor unplugged, may be the answer there.
Can't help with the clutch though.

Interesting, I figured it would still run without that sensor, but if someone could chime in as to why a 2000 won't, and when that happened, I'd appreciate it. The sensor plug is 50 bucks at the store and I'll grab it tomorrow regardless (worked until 7 tonight).

I'm not worried about the master cyl job, but I'd like to pinpoint it before I throw more money at this thing...and for future reference whether I should've performed different or additional steps when installing the new clutch.

My oil pressure sensor on my 98 is unplugged right now, but I have a 2.5 and the cluster with the idiot lights, so my oil pressure light is on but it still runs fine. Stupid question did you check for spark?

Last edited:
Picked up an oil pressure switch. Tested for spark and fuel, both verify yet I still can't get the engine to fire. Cam and crank sensors are both connected and worked fine before so I don't think they're failing. My local 4x4 page suggested 180 out, but would that prevent the motor from starting all together? Running out of ideas.

Regarding the clutch, I pulled the slave cyl and it had popped open in the bellhousing, hence the pedal to the floor. I have a master cyl replacement, but seeing the slave cyl fail I'm hesitant to replace the master if it wasn't the problem. Is it possible to rebuild the slave on the fly or do I need a rebuild kit? Shop doesn't have a replacement slave cyl and won't have one until Tuesday. None of the components were visibly broke , so I'm wondering if it just popped and is still functional now that it's back together?

Back