• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Larger fuel tank.

its840

NAXJA Forum User
about once a yr i tend to think about putting a larger tank on my jeep... cause the 20 gallon tank is good and all that.. but i would like to get a larger one.
yes, if you have deep pockets there are plenty of after market ones out there.. but i dont know about you.. but i dont have 800$ for a larger tank...

however, after some goggling and searching the interwebs.
iv found what it think might work.
this is the part where i ask you all if you think it might work.. or im just stupid for even thinking about it.....

1992-97 GMC Yukon they have a 30 gallon tank..
after looking at the 800$ tank and finding the measurement for that.
they both are pretty much right about the same size. the GMC is about 1/2 in taller.. but then taking some sheet metal and fabricating a skid plate for it. and in the end it will give me 30 gallon tank. and cost less then 250$

so.... whats do yall think?
:cheers::NAXJA::cheers:

I say give it a try and see if it works. A lot of us would like it if there was an option. Try a junkyard to see if you can find one cheap. A pnp would allow you to get one out and take a good look. It isn't just the size but the location of the vent and filler that will be important.

I look forward to hearing the answer to this.

I say give it a try and see if it works. A lot of us would like it if there was an option. Try a junkyard to see if you can find one cheap. A pnp would allow you to get one out and take a good look. It isn't just the size but the location of the vent and filler that will be important.

I look forward to hearing the answer to this.

You can't get fuel tanks from PNP or any yard around here.

If you decide the genright route,

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1110800

Jeep Cherokee Tank:
Capacity: 20 Gallons/76 Liters
Dimensions: 33-5/8 X 20-3/4 X 13 inches
With pan in tank
With straight internal vent

92-96 GMC Yukon tank:
Capacity: 30 Gallons/117 Liters
Dimensions: 30 1/2 x 24 3/4 x 14 inches
Replaces dealer part number: 15662731
Fits 2 Door models ONLY

Those are completely different sizes? Are you looking for a quick easy swap or a pretty involved one?

Very interesting.

I wonder why they cut off at '95 and not '96?

AMC-2 (32 gallon replacement tank for '84-'95 Cherokee & Wagoneer X-J mini models with or without fuel injection) $638.00​

I know the pump/sending unit assembly is unique, but I am not aware of any difference in the tank itself. Or does the OBDII system include some extra feature in the venting?

Isn't the return port in the fuel pump/sending unit assembly? Meaning that the tank would not be different, just the sending unit?

Or is there a return port on the actual tank?

Even if there is a return port on the tank I would think that would be easily capped off.

Just trying to think through this, and that is indeed a dangerous proposition.

The pump, mount, sending unit, fuel pressure regulator, lines are all different.

You could hack it up to work, but not sell it as a kit.

I have a '96 and am quite aware of the differences in the sending unit/pump assembly, but I am not aware of any differences with the tank. I believe all the differences you have listed are contained within the sending unit/pump assembly. Starting in '97 the tank changed substantially and along with it the sending unit/pump assembly also changed substantially. But I am not aware of any reason why a person could not take a '95 tank and drop in a '96 sending unit and run the '95 tank in a '96, just as if running the '95 tank in a '93 with a correct sending unit/pump assembly.

Am I missing some detail which prevents crossing sending units over from one tank to another?

Sunset metal fab bought the tank business from North West Products so I doubt that will change. Small company probably not much research!

Best I can guess is maybe the manuf is using a custom sender assembly that doesn't work with returnless

I wondered about that, but I then find myself wondering how they would be dealing with the various differences in connectors over the years. Given the recent threads about folks unable to find sending units/pump assemblies for such years as '95 I have gathered there are some differences out there. It is not just the '96 that is different from all the rest. (They all seem to use the same tank, but there are sending unit differences.)

If Sunset bought the business from Northwest then the odds are slimmer that I could get a detailed answer as to the reason '96 is not included, unless it has something to do with OBDII compliance. I am going to guess that if I put one in it won't pass smog inspection out here.

I sent an email inquiry to the manufacturer and got this reply:

Hello,

It is on account of the OBDII system. The issue with the sending units has to do with clearance and tooling. Our senders are fairly low clearance because our tank is oversize. Overall dimensions are 22" x 31 1/2" x 13 1/2" deep. Matt over at BleepinJeep did a great install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iftin3Kxrjo) if you would like to get an idea of how it hangs and what it looks like going in. I have heard that there has been discussion on some of the Jeep forums about installing past 1995, but it is not something I have personally attempted.

Best,

Chuck

I also watched the video (Working linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iftin3Kxrjo )

They do not use the factory sending unit/pump assembly. They have a separate sending unit, separate pump assembly and the evap vent. The pump assembly uses a stock pump. The wiring is cut off from the original sending unit/pump assembly and then ring terminals are used to connect to the aftermarket units. That takes care of any differences in connectors for the various years. There is however nothing that would allow for the in-tank pressure regulator of the '96.

It looks like '96 is caught right in the middle between this tank and the GenRight.

Back