• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Short - Weird???

DarrellXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Everyone hates electrical problems, I know. Looking for a starting point to sort this issue.

1993 XJ, 4.0, RWD, with daytime running lights

Wife had to have the xj jump started. Hadn't been run in a while. Jackass that jumped the jeep blew the 60amp underhood fuses for alternator and fuse #15 under dash. Only accessory that isn't working is the radio. Starts fine, runs fine, gauges work.

Problem: I ran it the other day and turned headlights on while driving. Got to where I was going and turned key off - jeep kept running. Only electrical on was the headlights. Turn the headlights off and the jeep stops running. So, tried the headlamp switch with the jeep key in the off position and you can hear the fuel pump power up. Crazy!

I'm assuming an arced wire. Want to tear as little of the xj apart as possible. Where to start - headlamp switch? steering column? pdc?

Any help would be appreciated!

I would check the headlight switch first, in my '89 or '91 (can't remember which one) it started to melt. That caused some weird problems, but I found it quickly after it started smoking. It seems that it would meld just a little more each time the headlights were on until the dimmer switch started arcing with other wires. But, blowing the 60amp fuse might have cause problems elsewhere.

Thanks for the help. I know that switch is a problem, but I hadn't had any issues with it. And, I have no idea how that could relate to the ignition issue. But, electrical is pure VOODOO as far I'm concerned. Will dig into it this evening.

Back