• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Over heated on trails

esharp

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought this XJ not to long ago and took it out wheeling for the firs time last weekend. I was on the trails and my temperature got a little to hot past 210 but not all the way into the red. when it did this the radiator cap popped up and started spewing all my coolant over the trail is this normal when the engine gets this hot? i checked for signs if i blew my head gasket but doesn't seem like i did no water in the oil not blowing white smoke i was able to fill it back up with coolant and drive it 50 miles home with out any problem after. is it normal for this to happen? :us:
RY2UwNb.jpg

Things to check: bugs clogging radiator, inside the core clogged with minerals, aux fan not coming on, hoses or engine passages clogged. Overflow system not working.
My problem was the radiator core passages were clogged enough to keep it just below the red line.

Try flushing the radiator then making sure your cap is working correctly. I have replaced two cherokees with CSF all metal 3 row radiators and they are working great. It's normal for cherokees to get hot on the trail. People who cannot bring temps down with a bigger radiator or fan will install hood vents to get the heat out from the engine area.

Good Luck

Mine gets hot when the fan clutch is on it's way out. This go around I opted for the Hayden 2737 instead. Keeps it's cool in slow traffic and on the trail again.
Were it me in your case ... I'd give the cooling system a good once over, clean the rad (in and out) ... If it has/had A/C clean between the cores (if the A/C is dead and defunct - remove the condensor). Replace the cap, test the aux fan, and check/replace the fan clutch. If either the thermostat or waterpump are suspect ... Replace them, cheap insurance.

Assume the cooling system has been neglected, and give it the once over.

-Use a flushing/cleaning solution to remover mineral buildup or rust, and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix. With a neglected
cooling system you may have to flush several times.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside. Clean or replace as needed.
-Replace the thermostat with a genuine Jeep 195* thermostat. Cheap thermostats are cheap for a reason.
-Replace the radiator cap if your Jeep has one. An old worn out radiator cap will allow boil overs and/or allow the coolant flash over into to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone and back to 210* if your radiator cap is weak.
-Inspect/test or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn fan clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights, in heavy traffic, and on the 4x4 trails. A fan clutch that “looks”
OK is not the same as working OK.
-Inspect the electric cooling fan and the fan relay. Apply 12 volts and make sure the fan runs. Exchange the cooling fan relay with one of the others similar relays. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace the fan or relay as needed.
-Inspect/test or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.

Back