• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Temperatures

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

I am wondering what peoples' experience is on exhaust blowing near the gas tank? My xj is a 92, 4.0/AX15/231 with a factory steel skid plate over the tank. Recently I just replaced the airtex pump that was on its last leg with a bosch pump. I noticed with the airtex that after about an hour or so the pump would be humming loud in the tank. Eventually the airtex would be so noisy/hot that it would hardly even start.

After installing the bosch I quickly noticed how superior it is to the airtex. Hard to even tell the pump is priming. After a ride today for about an hour both city driving and highway mixed in I noticed no increase in pump noise. So as soon as I parked it I put my hand on the tank and noticed it wasn't hot enough where I had to remove my hand in a second or two, but that I could leave my hand there for a while before it would be too hot to touch.

My exhaust has a turn down pretty much right after the muffler so the exhaust isn't blasting it strait back into the tank. I would route it back as close to factory as I could but I have a small tube truss on the 8.25 that doesn't leave much room for piping to get past the axle.

Should I be worried about the new pump I just installed getting hot? I certainly don't want it to fail anytime soon.

TIA

Nick

You fixed the problem when you got rid of the Airtex and put in the Bosch. Your exhaust isn't going to cook your pump unless the pipe is touching it and you just sit and idle.

The worst thing you can do for your pump is to run the tank down to empty. The gas is used to cool the pump. If the pump isn't submerged, it will run hot. I would be really surprised if the fuel ever gets all that warm.

The airtex pump is known to be a noisy piece of garbage.

Back