• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New rear end and transfer case question

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys so I was at my local JY and found a Ford 8.8 out of a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer, it is the same gear ration as my 1995 XJ. It is a 3.55 with disc brakes. Will this work with my jeep? It is an open Diff.

I also saw a 1991 XJ with the transfer case that has more options than mine. What would I need besides the transfer case to swap this into mine?

Anything helps, thanks guys

Keep in mind that more options does not necessarily mean better.

It has an additional shift option, but more points of failure and less upgrades available.

The rear axle will work but it is not a bolt-in affair.

You'll need to cut the brackets off the axle, and weld on spring perches for the XJ. while you're at it, weld the tubes and raise the shock mounts.

The e-brake cables will take some work to get to work with the XJ brake as well.

Thanks guys, so I take it Cal that I should just stick with the 231 I already have. I fully understand that the 8.8 is not a bolt on affair, I was just making sure that a mercury mountaineer 8.8 will work in general. I also just picked up a rebuilt 99 V8 Durango steering box to go in the jeep. Thanks again guys.

3.55's were actually fairly standard in the 2wd Explorer's, not so much in the 4wd vehicles.

I'm not sure why you'd run an 8.8 with 3.55s unless you know you'll need 4.56s or 4.88s in the future and will be swapping gears no matter what.

If you are sticking with stock size tires, you should be just fine with an 8.25, which will drop in, and thus be cheap and easy (and can be easily swapped to disc brakes, if you wish).

If you are running bigger tires, you may as well get an 8.8 with 3.73 or 4.10 gears (which are really common), then change the front too.

Paul

I am sure it's a 3.55. I am only running 3 inches of lift and 31" tires. My XJ came with 3.55 gears. I guess it would be cool to find a Dana 30 with 3.73 gears and go that route. I just sunk a ton of cash into the front of my jeep, but I can swap it all over if needed.

Back