• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another airbag light, different issues

93blackxj

NAXJA Forum User
Recently bought a '99 xj with a bad motor. swapped in a jy motor and is running great. noticed a/c wasn't coming on the first real test drive. knew that it had a brand new evap installed wasn't thinking to much about it. then i lost power to the power windows and radio, thats when i noticed the airbag light coming on and off. sometimes the a/c blows ice cold and the windows don't work or vise versa. sometimes it all works. I've searched the threads for airbag lights and went through 10 pages and didn't see anyone with issues like this. any thoughts or ideas would be a great help.

Wire harness issues are very common. Start with the drivers door, test and visually inspect for chafed wire insulation, failed wire splices, and damaged wires. The symptoms you describe are not usually related, so you may have multiple issues. Check all the wires and wire connectors under the hood for damage of loose connections from the motor swap.

Recently bought a '99 xj with a bad motor. swapped in a jy motor and is running great. noticed a/c wasn't coming on the first real test drive. knew that it had a brand new evap installed wasn't thinking to much about it. then i lost power to the power windows and radio, thats when i noticed the airbag light coming on and off. sometimes the a/c blows ice cold and the windows don't work or vise versa. sometimes it all works. I've searched the threads for airbag lights and went through 10 pages and didn't see anyone with issues like this. any thoughts or ideas would be a great help.

Occasionally when an Evaporator is changed and the HVAC Unit is reinstalled, connector C201 is not secured properly. All those circuits you describe go through C201.

C201 is held together by a bolt. You may want to access C201 and see if its secure (bolt tight).

Pic of C201 location:

jpgnewC201.jpg

Problem solved, it was the ignition switch. With 2 older XJs I can't believe I missed this. There were 2 corroded contacts in the plug. Now everything is working great. Next exhaust leak in the engine bay and I think some brake hardware has come apart and getting caught up in the right rear.

Back