• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and drive shaft

areblder

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this question has been asked numerous times. I searched and don't see any sticky posts about specific SYE brands or D/S.

I have a 1999 Cherokee sport 4x4 that I have done quite a few modifications too as well as have a SYE installed at a shop about 40 miles away. They did a great job with the install and re-gear. I have asked what brand of SYE and D/S they installed and they say they will look at my file and still have not.

My question is I have another 1999 Cherokee that I am going to do the SYE on myself. I have been looking online at all of the re sellers of the NP231 SYE and D/S and it appears that they are likely all manufactured by one or a couple manufacturers and relabeled or branded with the various vendors names. I have found a few decent prices out there and wanted to know if anyone has any personal opinions of this reseller

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.c...-kit-spicer-solid-1310-cv-driveshaft-package/

or if there is a quality/reputable reseller right here on NAXJA that could sell me what I need?

Last edited:
I am sure this question has been asked numerous times. I searched and don't see any sticky posts about specific SYE brands or D/S.

I have a 1999 Cherokee sport 4x4 that I have done quite a few modifications too as well as have a SYE installed at a shop about 40 miles away. They did a great job with the install and re-gear. I have asked what brand of SYE and D/S they installed and they say they will look at my file and still have not.

My question is I have another 1999 Cherokee that I am going to do the SYE on myself. I have been looking online at all of the re sellers of the NP231 SYE and D/S and it appears that they are likely all manufactured by one or a couple manufacturers and relabeled or branded with the various vendors names. I have found a few decent prices out there and wanted to know if anyone has any personal opinions of this reseller

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.c...-kit-spicer-solid-1310-cv-driveshaft-package/

or if there is a quality/reputable reseller right here on NAXJA that could sell me what I need?
The Advanced SYE in your link is sold by a bunch of people. http://sponsorship.naxja.org/ has a list of NAXJA sponsors, I know Rustys and IRO sell that same kit and others, not sure about the other people on that list. Basically you have a choice beetween replacing the whole shaft (the Advanced SYE) or cutting/drilling the existing shaft and putting a yoke on the remaining nub. The replacement shafts are stronger but they are also more comprehensive and more expensive.

Driveshafts can be bought from a number of places. IRO will sell you one to fit. Most local driveline shops can probably make one as well

Advance Adapters for your HD SYE, avoid Rugged Ridge. A Hack and Tap SYE is a lower cost alternative that works well if done right. Many people use a stock XJ front drive shaft for the rear with an SYE. A drive-line shop should charge about $75-150 to lengthen or shorten and balance a good used drive shaft, which would be much less than a custom shaft.

Definitely not doing a hack and tap. I have no problem taking the transfer case off and opening it. I suppose I should just buy the advance adapters SYE and D/S from any one of the online sources. Thanks for the input.

Literally, for a few dollars more, you can have a top quality SYE. There are too many threads about RR SYE having poor quality castings, and sloppy machining.

Back