• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent no start?

b5blue

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, it's been awhile! My 89 XJ Sport 6cyl 5 speed 2WD has been running like a champ thanks to everyone here's help! Just this weekend I unintentionally topped up the tank to FULL. (I normally run 1/2 or less.)
The next day, after running fine, it took quite a bit of cranking to start. (4 crank for almost a full minute cycles...3-4 minute wait and started right up/ran fine.) The next 2 days it started right up fine in the morning, ran great to work about 3 miles but after 8-9 hours sitting it took a lot of cranking to start again?
Intermittent problems are the worst! I've ordered a new (Spectra.) fuel pump assembly as the XJ still has it's original. (129K mile.) I've got to figure out the best way to drain the tank, it's still mostly full. I'm guessing a check of the CPS is in reason, it's still fairly new with low miles on it. I've done bunches of service and replacing RENIX components, IAS/TPS/CPS, new injectors/battery H.D. Firecore plug wires/plugs, ground connections and vacuum harness. Any opinions on what/where else to look for any issues is greatly appreciated! Again you guys have been a huge help, the poor thing went from pesky troublesome to reliable fun to drive part of the family! :) Thanks!

I get ya, talking to the second owner months ago I realized the pump was never changed and had commented "how long can one last" so a new one was planned for.

I just checked with my local Autozone and they have a gauge to "loan" so thanks! (Just leave a deposit kinda thing.)

Thanks Cruiser! Printed and appreciated! :) Out of pure instinct I ordered a new CPS the day it first gave me trouble.

Well I'm on my second fuel tank, the Spectra tank is made in Canada and very nice. However the box it's shipped in is weak and there is no packing to protect it? The result is a dented/banged up tank, The first was dented so bad the steel had crease lines the one today is dinged in several spots but will do. :(

Thanks so much for the trouble shoot guide Cruiser, about 10 days ago I started trying to get the XJ to fail. It refuses to so today I installed a new CPS with a modified connector I can get a reading from if needed and used the guide to go over about 10 connectors cleaning and checking. Many were iffy at best. I'll run and test more before installing the new pump/tank.

Thanks so much for the trouble shoot guide Cruiser, about 10 days ago I started trying to get the XJ to fail. It refuses to so today I installed a new CPS with a modified connector I can get a reading from if needed and used the guide to go over about 10 connectors cleaning and checking. Many were iffy at best. I'll run and test more before installing the new pump/tank.

Good plan.

5 days of constant use and running fine. Looks like I'll be able to just run it till empty to change pump/tank. Thanks again so much!

Back