• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusted rear lower quarter panel

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all,

Quick question. My passenger side rear lower quarter panel is completely rusted out. It goes up about 4 -6 inches with the largest part being closest to the wheel. The other day I was taping at it with a hammer to see how bad the rust was and it's pretty gnarly. I was going to do the cut and fold but since I don't have any metal to cut or fold what options do I have? The only thought was the just cut out the rust and maybe use a new piece on metal and weld it in with spot welds to simulate the fold up piece? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

The only thought was the just cut out the rust and maybe use a new piece on metal and weld it in with spot welds to simulate the fold up piece? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Exactly what I was going to suggest if you have welder access.

Cool, thanks! Yeah I do have access to a welder. Most body work stuff I'm good with but this unibody thing is beating me up!

that is what I did when I did the rear quarter fold, I left about an inch of material for the new steel to mate too.

finished product

Sorry to highjack... :wave: but what rear bumper is that? It looks like it has a tire carrier as well. Thanks in advance.

I have no idea who made the original bumper, I bought it off craigslist. I have modified it from what it originally was...

when I bought it

after the mods for the rear quarter cut, changed to 2x4 for the quarters and angled the lower corners for departure angles

tire carrier is exactly the same

I am actually redoing the mounting right now so it slides into the "frame" using the nutstrip 8 holes + the original 8 bumper mounting holes under the tailgate

I have no idea who made the original bumper, I bought it off craigslist. I have modified it from what it originally was...

when I bought it

after the mods for the rear quarter cut, changed to 2x4 for the quarters and angled the lower corners for departure angles

tire carrier is exactly the same

I am actually redoing the mounting right now so it slides into the "frame" using the nutstrip 8 holes + the original 8 bumper mounting holes under the tailgate

That's 2 legit to quit. I'm in the market for bumpers. I definitely want something along those lines for the rear. I can't seem to find any that I like except for the OR Fab rear bumper that accommodates the rear quarter cut and tuck. Thanks for the info. Highjack over. :)

Back