• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Wiring between models 87 and 89

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 87 cherokee has is manual everything. I picked up an 89 that has electric everything.

Would I have to pull the entire harness from the electric jeep or will the doors/seats/keyless/ in dash tweaters. plug into my harness?

I believe that you need to whole harness. Not 100% on that, as I do not know if the harness is equipped for all the extras. I do know that not all the connections are there to just plug n pray for items.
A FSM might shed some light on that.

I'm pretty sure the tweeter wire connector is hanging there.

The electric door openers get sluggish and iffy. And just an opinion, not reliable enough to be an asset.

The remote entry system seemed to have issues on most Renix when they were new or shortly there after, unreliable.

I doubt you have the contacts in the fuse block for the door lock/power seat circuit breaker. You could run a hot wire (fairly thick) from the ACC outlet on your fuse block, with an in line fuse. I really can't remember if the power seat connector is under the carpet or not.

Sorry I'm so sketchy on this, it has been a long time since I picked through these circuits.

*Generally*, you sometimes have a cut wire hanging, a connector with more wires on one side than the other or in other words you may not need the whole harness. Or only an extension from an existing harness is missing.

They tend to add the contacts into the fuse block as the accessories are installed. Or in other words, there may be blanks in the fuse block you need with no contacts installed.

I assume you're taking the power goodies out of the 89 to put in your 87.

There are "stub" harnesses that connect things like the door locks/windows and speakers to the main harness. For the door harness, it connects behind the kick panel.

However, the 87 shows a different part number than the 88-90. I have no clue why they would be different.

Back