• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deaver clearance issues

Bjorn86

NAXJA Forum User
After a couple of runs on my new Deaver G9 leaf pack, I've realized there is a clearance issue with the front spring eye and the floorboard above. My springs have "self-clearanced" the floor board (I.e. Pushed floor up) just above the front spring hanger. It's starting to look a little rough and I'm concerned about the longevity of the spring hangers as they appear to be separating from the body where the floor has been pushed up.

Has anybody else experienced this with the Deavers or other leaf packs? I'm aware of the Synergy front leaf hanger brackets, anyone use these to remedy the clearance issue? Any other suggestions? Any input appreciated!

We're on our 4th set of Deavers with the stock front hangars, and while it certainly has rubbed, there's been no problem so far.

Thanks for the input, cal. It looks like it's clearanced itself as far as it needs, so I suppose it shouldn't get any worse. Have you done anything to reinforce the hangers? Mine are tied into one of the legs that comes off of my plated frame and runs up to the 2x6 rocker replacement.

I couldnt find any good pictures (I have over 2000 photos from our build, and the hangers are covered in too much dirt to see it now).

We plated them front and side with .120" plate, but nothing else. We always figured we'd cut them off later and build something beefier, but have never really found the need.

I'm thinking the floor shouldn't get any worse, my main concern is the leaf hangers ripping from the body. I'll probably plate them and try to tie them in to other surfaces the best I can and see what happens. If anyone has done something to beef up the stock brackets I'd love to see what you did!

I'm trying to capture that front lip which is where it may or may not be separating from the body. As it is, I can stick a flathead screwdriver tip in there open that up with little to no effort. It's slight, but I try to be proactive and catch things early.

Last edited:
It looks like the bushing isn't as wide as the mount which was tweaked when you torqued it down. My Nationals are the same width but I used two 1/4" spacers on either side to prevent that from happening.

Was the shackle end a bitch to assemble? Bushings may be on the wrong ends.

It looks like the bushing isn't as wide as the mount which was tweaked when you torqued it down. My Nationals are the same width but I used two 1/4" spacers on either side to prevent that from happening.

This is correct, I had to do this on my deavers as well to keep from crushing the mount.

Was the shackle end a bitch to assemble? Bushings may be on the wrong ends.

The deavers are impossible to mount backwards.

The deavers are impossible to mount backwards.

But its not impossible to put the bushings at the wrong end of the spring. The eyelets are the same ID/OD, but the bushings are not the same width front/rear, and the springs come with the bushings not installed.

Because our application is so modified, generally when I buy deavers (1-2 sets a year..) Scott and Jeff give me 3 or 4 different width of bushings so I can figure out whats going to fit best on the current iteration of our car.

And its not impossible to run them backwards. Just a really stupid idea.

I can think of two rigs off of the top of my head running XJ deavers backwards for extended wheelbase (one XJ, one Samurai).

I dropped the springs before work this morning since it's already up on jack stands.

Front bushings have a shoulder of approximately 5/16" for a total width of around 3 1/16", and the inner (long) sleeve is flush with the outer edges of the bushings.

Rear bushings have a shoulder of around 3/16" for a total width of about 2 7/8", which makes them a bitch to get into the shackle, but I couldn't imagine they are backwards as the others have a thicker shoulder. The inner (short) sleeve measures 2 3/4" and sits about 1/16" inside of each side of the bushings.

Do these measurements sound about right? The ones that seem "wrong" to me would be the rear bushings which are too wide by 1/8".

Back